PURPOSE OF VOLUNTEER POSITION:
ICM volunteers will work with clients to support them in navigating U.S. systems and resources and working to meet goals towards self-sufficiency. The volunteer(s) work and help with the staff benefits the IRC program, clients, and/or organization while providing an opportunity for the volunteer to practice skills and gain deeper knowledge relevant to their interest in health and wellness.
- Monday through Friday; minimum of choosing two full days to volunteer
- Office hours are from 9:00am-4: 30 pm
- 6 months or more average commitment
- Work with clients to attain goals outlined in self-sufficiency plans (navigate public transportation, access community services, etc.).
- Support clients in finding and accessing community resources/agencies and completing necessary applications (ex. low-income housing, benefits, etc.)
- Ensure accurate records of interactions with clients through case notes in an internal database and complete case files.
- Follow the “IRC Way” of policies and conduct
- Meet scheduled weekly/monthly commitment
- Perform all required tasks and functions
We ask that candidates have the following qualities:
- Commitment to the goals and philosophy of IRC
- Strong communication skills (both interpersonal and with supervisors)
- Possess a great attention to detail and organizational skills
- Strong sense of personal initiative and be able to work independently in a fast-paced office
- Computer literacy with PC systems and software
- Experience working with multi-cultural populations
- Experience working with refugees, asylees, vulnerable populations or persons in crisis
- Knowledge of public benefits and community resources (e.g. health, housing, employment, education, etc.) in and around Alameda and Contra Costa County
- Access to a car and willingness to drive clients preferred
This position reports to the ICM Caseworker
- Submit an online application here.
More opportunities in Oakland, CA
Administrative Support Volunteer
The Finance and Administration Department is responsible for the IRC in Northern California’s financial accounting functions and the oversight of the financial accounting processes of the offices to support programs. This volunteer position is within the Finance and Administration team and will support the team with various projects and month end close responsibilities included assisting with client coordination support and helping to foster an environment in which both clients and staff thrive in productivity. By providing support to the finance and administration team, the volunteer will help make the transition to Northern California easier for hundreds of refugees. The IRC supports new refugees with financial assistance, language classes, vocational training, and resume coaching.
Financial Inclusion and Opportunity Volunteer
The Financial Inclusion and Opportunity Program at the IRC works to ensure that all of our clients are equipped with the financial knowledge and tools they’ll need to thrive in the competitive Bay Area. Based on the Annie E. Casey Foundation’s innovative Center for Working Families model, it complements IRC’s wraparound employment and income support services with dedicated in-house financial coaching and access to safe, affordable credit-building products.
Immigration Clinic Volunteer
Gain experience with a broad range of immigration policies while supporting the Immigration Program's community-based consultation clinics in Fruitvale.
Immigration Outreach Volunteer
The Immigration Department at the IRC provides high-quality services at a low cost to assist refugees, asylees, and other immigrants. The services that are provided include naturalization, family reunification, green cards, and DACA.