PURPOSE OF VOLUNTEER POSITION:
ICM volunteers will work with clients to support them in navigating U.S. systems and resources and working to meet goals towards self-sufficiency. The volunteer(s) work and help with the staff benefits the IRC program, clients, and/or organization while providing an opportunity for the volunteer to practice skills and gain deeper knowledge relevant to their interest in health and wellness.
- Monday through Friday; minimum of choosing two full days to volunteer
- Office hours are from 9:00am-4: 30 pm
- 6 months or more average commitment
- Work with clients to attain goals outlined in self-sufficiency plans (navigate public transportation, access community services, etc.).
- Support clients in finding and accessing community resources/agencies and completing necessary applications (ex. low-income housing, benefits, etc.)
- Ensure accurate records of interactions with clients through case notes in an internal database and complete case files.
- Follow the “IRC Way” of policies and conduct
- Meet scheduled weekly/monthly commitment
- Perform all required tasks and functions
We ask that candidates have the following qualities:
- Commitment to the goals and philosophy of IRC
- Strong communication skills (both interpersonal and with supervisors)
- Possess a great attention to detail and organizational skills
- Strong sense of personal initiative and be able to work independently in a fast-paced office
- Computer literacy with PC systems and software
- Experience working with multi-cultural populations
- Experience working with refugees, asylees, vulnerable populations or persons in crisis
- Knowledge of public benefits and community resources (e.g. health, housing, employment, education, etc.) in and around Alameda and Contra Costa County
- Access to a car and willingness to drive clients preferred
This position reports to the ICM Caseworker
- Submit an online application here.
More opportunities in Oakland, CA
Client Coordinator Volunteer
The Client Coordinator volunteer manages the front desk and waiting lobby. This volunteer will always be the first person people see when they come into the IRC office. A Client Coordinator is responsible for setting and maintaining the overall environment, while clients wait in the lobby. Client Coordinators greet clients and help them access services. The volunteer is responsible for directing client needs to the appropriate staff member as well as answer phones, take messages, and respond to general questions.
Economic Empowerment Volunteer
Economic Empowerment in Oakland provides tools, resources for economic mobility, financial independence, autonomy. IRC Services are designed to assist clients with targeted, industry-specific career counseling and training. Clients who are ready to graduate from entry-level positions to more advanced career opportunities are able to access these services that will help them grow professionally. The Economic Empowerment Volunteer will support these services through direct client interaction, coordination of supportive volunteer services, and classroom training.
Contra Costa County, Community Volunteer
Community Volunteer will work closely with the Economic Empowerment team in providing basic community skills training to IRC’s female clients in Contra Costa and Alameda Counties. Oakland IRC’s Economic Empowerment program supports clients in rebuilding their lives in the U.S. The IRC supports new arrivals find their first job in the U.S. through Early Employment Programs, which blend classroom job-readiness instruction and individualized employment case management in helping over 75 percent of enrolled cases successfully find employment within 6 months of arrival to the U.S. While clients are looking for a job, they simultaneously learn about the complex U.S. financial services system, receive help in establishing bank accounts, and can access consumer advocacy and financial coaching support from IRC Financial Counselors.
Citizenship Workshop Assistant
Volunteers will assist clients as they complete their citizenship applications.