TITLE: Casework Intern
LOCATION: Missoula, Montana
COMMITMENT: 15+ hours a week, 3+ months, flexibility in scheduling
PLEASE NOTE: This is an unpaid position. If credit for class is desired please indicate in statement of interest.
The International Rescue Committee is the leading nonsectarian, voluntary organization providing relief, protection and resettlement services for refugees and victims of oppression or violent conflict. The IRC is committed to freedom, human dignity, and self-reliance. This commitment is reflected in well-planned resettlement assistance, global emergency relief, rehabilitation, and advocacy for refugees. Founded in 1933, the IRC is a global leader in emergency relief, rehabilitation, protection of human rights, post-conflict development, resettlement services and advocacy for those uprooted or affected by conflict and oppression. The resettlement office in Missoula, Montana provides services to approximately 100 newly arriving refugees per year.
SCOPE OF WORK:
The case management program includes providing core services to new arrivals, and helping clients work towards self sufficiency in the areas of health, employment, finances, education, housing, public assistance, family, and community. Casework interns work closely with the casework staff throughout their internship, assisting and learning about all aspects of the casework program.
- Shadowing a Caseworker for two-weeks at start of internship on the following new arrival services: airport pickup, home safety orientation, grocery shopping, apply for social security card, apply for public services, activate EBT card, lease signing, setting up utilities, office intake, bus orientations, paying bills, etc.
- Assisting with Core Services: Airport pick-up, ESL enrollment, cultural orientation, and transportation to appointments
- Assisting Casework team with needs assessment, budgeting, service plan, home visits
- Assisting with referrals and connecting refugee clients to community services
- Assisting with files, case notes, data entry, participation in weekly case staffing meetings
- Background in social work OR other related fields
- Motivated, flexible and ability to work independently, prioritize, and manage time effectively
- Strong computer skill with proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook)
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and work as a team member in a cross-cultural environment
- IRC orientation and background check required
- Experience working with refugees/diverse populations is a plus
Compensation: This an unpaid internship
This internship is eligible for school credit upon request
Hours: 15+ or more hours a week
Supervisor: IRC Casework Manager
Interested candidates should email a resume and brief statement of interest to [email protected]
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.