TITLE: Communications Intern
LOCATION: Missoula, Montana
START DATE: Ongoing
Commitment: at least one semester, at least 5 hours per week
The International Rescue Committee is the leading nonsectarian, voluntary organization providing relief, protection and resettlement services for refugees and victims of oppression or violent conflict. The IRC is committed to freedom, human dignity, and self-reliance. This commitment is reflected in well-planned resettlement assistance, global emergency relief, rehabilitation, and advocacy for refugees. Founded in 1933, the IRC is a global leader in emergency relief, rehabilitation, protection of human rights, post-conflict development, resettlement services and advocacy for those uprooted or affected by conflict and oppression. The resettlement office in Missoula, Montana provides services to approximately 120 newly arriving refugees per year.
SCOPE OF WORK:
As a communications intern you will be responsible for assisting in the community outreach and communication strategy for the International Rescue Committee in Missoula. You can expect to work on projects as varied as fundraising campaigns to advocacy drives, anywhere that specific messaging is needed. As such, you will be expected to learn about the IRC (history, scope of work, values, ect.), our clients, and trends in refugee resettlement in order to communicate to a variety of audiences in a manner consistant with our messaging. All communication activities will be done in coordination with office staff and under the supervision of the Development Coordinator.
• Assist in the publication of a monthly newsletter and website updates.
• Manage our office social media outreach.
• Plan and manage outreach and fundraising campaigns including Missoula Gives, Giving Tuesday, Annual Appeal, World Refugee Day and others as needed.
• Represent the IRC at community events such as DiverseU, International Human Rights Day, World View Film Series and more.
• Experience in communication or related field
• Motivated, flexible and ability to work independently, prioritize, and manage time effectively
• Strong computer skill with proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook)
• Demonstrated ability to communicate and work as a team member in a cross-cultural environment
• IRC orientation and background check required
• Experience working with refugees/diverse populations is a plus
• Compensation: This an unpaid internship
• Hours: flexible, minimum of 5 hrs per week
• Supervisor: Development Coordinator
Interested candidates should email a resume and brief statement of interest to [email protected]
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
1535 Liberty Ln, Missoula, MT 59808-2023, United States