Title: IRC Missoula Employment Support Volunteer
Location: Missoula, Montana
Start Date: Ongoing
Commitment: 2+ hours per week for at least 4-6 months
The International Rescue Committee is the leading nonsectarian, voluntary organization providing relief, protection and resettlement services for refugees and victims of oppression or violent conflict. The IRC is committed to freedom, human dignity, and self-reliance. This commitment is reflected in well-planned resettlement assistance, global emergency relief, rehabilitation, and advocacy for refugees. Founded in 1933, the IRC is a global leader in emergency relief, rehabilitation, protection of human rights, post-conflict development, resettlement services and advocacy for those uprooted or affected by conflict and oppression. The resettlement office in Missoula, Montana provides services to approximately 180 newly arriving refugees per year.
SCOPE OF WORK:
As an Employment Support Volunteer, you will support the Career Development Coordinator and Employment team with various aspects of employment. Duties include but are not limited to assisting IRC staff with growing the employer network, assisting clients with resume building, shopping for work clothes, attending job interviews, completing new hire paperwork, accompanying clients to their first few days of their new job, and helping them learn biking and/or public transportation routes to and from work.
As such, you will be expected to learn about the IRC (history, scope of work, values, etc.), our clients, and core services. All activities will be done in coordination with the office staff and under the supervision of the Career Development Coordinator.
- Able to commit at least two hours a week for 4-6 months; availability on weekdays between 7am and 6pm preferred
- Motivated, flexible and ability to work independently, prioritize, and manage time effectively
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and work as a team member in a cross-cultural environment
- IRC orientation and background check required
- Experience working with refugees/diverse populations is a plus
- Adhere to IRC volunteer and workplace policies, including confidentiality policies and respect for family experiences
- Complete the volunteer orientation training which takes place virtually and is approximately 2 hours. Training covers:
- The role the IRC
- IRC policies to which all volunteers must adhere
- How to track your volunteer hours
- Training on the employment programs at IRC
- Training on use of interpretation tools to address language barriers
Interested candidates should email a resume and brief statement of interest to [email protected]
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.