Please Note: This is an unpaid position.
Background: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover and gain control of their future. IRC teams provide health, infrastructure, learning and economic support to people in 40 countries worldwide. The IRC also provides support to thousands of refugees resettling in 29 U.S. cities each year through housing assistance, case management and referral services, job readiness and placement, English language training, community and cultural orientation, health and wellness programs, immigration services and other community integration activities.
Scope of Volunteer Work: Help welcome refugees into our community by setting up apartments and securing donations of essential goods for newly arriving families, and supporting the resettlement team in airport pickups. The Logistics and Housing Setup Volunteer will work (as needed) with the Operations team to organize in-kind donations (i.e. furniture, household supplies, clothing etc) that will be given to newly arrived families. The volunteer will spend majority of their time supporting regular weekly household setups. Volunteers may be asked to lift and carry heavy furniture upstairs. The volunteer will work primarily work with the Resettlement and Operations team.
Location: In-person at IRC Seattle warehouse is located at 2365 S 200th St, SeaTac, WA.
Time commitment: Minimum of 2-3 hours per week either during IRC business hours (Monday-Friday, 9-5 PM)
- Help organize and inventory in-kind donations of furniture, clothing, household supplies, and other client needs at the warehouse
- Assist in regular household setups, including loading furniture and essential housing items into moving vans, setting up homes by assembling furniture and making new home cozy for newly arrived families
- Help transport items or clients' luggage between storage units and apartments (as needed)
- Willingness to follow COVID-19 protocols and public health guidelines
- Strong intercultural communication skills; demonstrated ability to work effectively with people from diverse backgrounds and across language barriers
- Ability to handle sensitive client information confidentially
- Strong organizational skills, time management skills, and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team
- Must be able and willing to occasionally lift 40(+) lbs.
- Must be flexible, patient, and willing to perform other reasonable duties as needed
- Positive attitude and reliability are essential qualities for prospective candidates
- Willingness to adhere to IRC volunteer and workplace policies
- Access to reliable transportation to and from the IRC warehouse is required
- Must pass a background check
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires candidates who are selected for interview to have proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for this position.
Reports to: Operations Team and Resettlement (Housing) Team
Last Updated: May 2023
How to apply:
1. Attend an orientation/info session. Register here.
2. Please fill out a volunteer application
3. Volunteer Coordinator or IRC staff will follow up