Background: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover and gain control of their future. The IRC’s New Roots program has developed services and infrastructure aimed at engaging low-income families in urban agriculture, nutrition education, and healthy food access navigation. New Roots builds on the agricultural experience of many new refugee and immigrant families by providing access to land, materials, and education for program participants to grow healthy foods. New Roots Program Services include: Increasing Food Access, Fostering Income Generation, Improving Nutrition, Building Community, Developing Leadership and Skills.
Scope of internship: The New Roots Farm Assistant Intern will support farmers and staff at Horseneck farm on various tasks such as quality control, checking in and providing support to farmers as needed, technical assistance, outreach, and data entry and tracking.
Location: Areas of work will primarily be South King County. This includes: Horseneck Farm in Kent, Tukwila Village Farmers Market, and Mary Gay Garden in Des Moines. The IRC office is also located in SeaTac, WA. Majority of time will be in-person but some hours of work will be virtual too.
Time Committment: 15-20 hours/week (June through October, 5-6 months). Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from (12pm-6pm PT). Internship can start as early as May. Minimum 5-month requirement.
Essential Position Functions:
- Make sure produce is in high quality and ready to sell before taking it to the farmers market or handing it to wholesale buyers. This includes:
- Rejecting produce with pests/insects, dirt, holds or looks rotten, wilted, moldy, or looks too matured
- Checking if produce is washed, weighed & bunched
- Ensure correct produce goes into a cooler or waxed boxes
- Maintain the pack station by keeping it clean and safe before and after washing produce
- Support farmers as needed on site for irrigation, getting tools & supplies, and connect farmers to resources based on their need
- Help site managers as needed
- Outreach to farmers to inform them of upcoming workshops, trainings, meetings, or updates of decisions made by the organization or site managers
- Help/remind farmers to fill out fresh sheet once or twice a week depending on the produce demand
- Help farmers with record keeping of sales and expenses
- Data entry of check-ins with farmers and attendance at meetings and workshops using a data management software called ETO
- Some experience working on a farm preferred but not required
- Experience working with people from different cultural backgrounds and lifestyle
- Comfortable using Microsoft Office products such as Word and Excel
- Good reading, writing and communication skills
- Must have a driver’s license and access to a car
Reports to: New Roots Senior Program Specialist
Please note, all interns are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. This is an unpaid internship.
1. Please email VolunteerSEA [at] rescue.org with a resume and cover letter
2. Please fill out an internship application
More opportunities in Seattle, WA
New Roots Community Garden Intern
Join our New Roots this summer as a Community Garde Intern!
Join our Immigration team this summer as an intern and support refugee and immigrant community members on their paths to permanent residency and US citizenship.
Youth Roots Program Summer Intern
Join our New Roots team this summer as a Youth Roots intern! Youth Roots is a program that engages and builds with youth who are passionate about food justice, land justice, and sustainability.
On-call Business Finance Volunteer
Support refugee and immigrant business owners with business finances on an ad hoc basis!