Scope of Work:
The New Roots Intern will help with food production and maintenance at NRCF and NRGs. In addition to food production, the intern will assist with market, educational and community activities. This position works directly with the Food and Agriculture Coordinator.
- Assist with new garden build out and all food production activities at both sites;
- Contribute to overall site maintenance: composting, clean-up, and sourcing materials;
- Assist with harvest and distribution through donation partner and weekly farm-stand;
- Coordinate workday activities and support volunteers on site;
- Support community engagement and educational activities;
- Assist the Food and Agriculture Coordinator and Specialist with ongoing program tasks as needed.
- A strong passion for and knowledge of food and farming issues
- Bachelor’s degree or course work in related field preferred
- Demonstrated experience with community organizing and engagement, particularly with disadvantaged communities and related to food justice or farming, preferred
- Prior experience working in urban agriculture or gardening preferred
- Prior experience working with refugees, immigrant or pre-literate populations in non-traditional setting preferred
- Strong leadership, communication, and organizational skills required
- A flexible schedule and ability to travel to both the Bronx and Queens locations regularly required
- Second language (Spanish, French, Arabic or Karen) and interpretation skills a plus.
To apply, click here.
More opportunities in New York, NY
Front Desk Volunteer
The Front Desk Volunteer will provide coverage for the reception desk, greet and direct client walk-ins, and schedule client appointments with appropriate staff. He/she will answer the IRC in New York’s main telephone line, direct incoming calls as appropriate and assess documentation of clients to determine program eligibility. The Front Desk Volunteer will provide additional clerical assistance and support to IRC staff in the New York regional office.