BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises, helping to restore health, safety, education, economic wellbeing and power to people devastated by conflict and disaster. Founded in 1933 at the call of Albert Einstein, the IRC is at work in over 40 countries and 26 U.S. cities helping people to survive, reclaim control of their future and strengthen their communities.
SCOPE OF WORK: Tutors meet with high school students located in San Diego, CA via Zoom breakout rooms to work through school assignments and provide strategies for students to develop their skills. Tutors provide a positive, encouraging, safe environment for students to utilize their skills and understand their assignments. Tutoring will be completely remote and online for the Spring 2021 semester. Tutoring may shift back to in-person services when safe to do so.
- Tutor training provided, including training for technology utilized
- Ongoing feedback and growth opportunities given
- Connect with other tutors, students, and IRC Staff
- Tutors guide students in utilizing their skills to understand and work on homework assignments in various high school or college subjects, including but not limited to: English, math, literature, history, science etc.
- Tutors are paired with students based on their subject strengths
- Tutors provide students with strategies in completing homework and time-management
- Tutors create a positive, encouraging, safe environment for students to learn and develop their skills
- Tutors are flexible, patient, and willing to troubleshoot any technological or academic challenges
- Tutors communicate with IRC Staff regarding any issues or availability changes
TIME REQUIREMENTS: Tutoring is conducted Monday-Thursday from 3-5 PM (PST) (subject to change). Tutors may choose their schedule within these times, with a minimum weekly requirement of 2 hours per week. A commitment of at least 3 months is required.
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Familiarity with one or more common high school or college subjects
- Personable and comfortable communicating with English language learners
- Experience tutoring or working in a diverse and inclusive academic or professional setting
- Access to laptop, computer, or other device suitable for tutoring with access to Zoom and wi-fi connection
- Familiarity with technology and Zoom preferred
- Experience working with or tutoring high school or college age youth preferred
- Experience working with English language learners preferred
- Background check clearance, including LiveScan fingerprinting background check
- Must be located somewhere in California
To apply to this position, please fill out an IRC Volunteer Application here and indicate that you are applying to the San Diego Office and which position you are applying for. If we would like to move forward with your application, we will reach out to schedule an interview.
More opportunities in San Diego, CA
Virtual Front Desk Volunteer – VITA Program
Support our VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) program remotely with administrative tasks and welcoming clients!
Limited Volunteer Opportunities Due to COVID-19
Click here for more information and to see how you can get involved in the future.
VITA Virtual Tax Preparation Volunteer
Provide support to individuals and families with incomes below the national average by guiding them through the tax preparation process! No tax preparation experience needed! Join our program virtually from anywhere in the US!