SCOPE OF WORK:
To continue to support refugee youth throughout the summer the IRC youth program is implementing an online tutoring program using Facebook Messenger and Zoom Webinar to connect individual students to an IRC volunteer for academic support in specific subjects (Math, English, Science, Reading, etc.).
- Volunteers commit to weekly tutoring hours and remain online during this time.The online tutoring sessions for which we still need volunteers are Mondays from 3:00pm-5:00pm.
- Students reach out to IRC staff member and specify tutoring needs.
- IRC staff member begins a Facebook message thread with student, volunteertutor, and staff member (Note: Facebook users can message each other without being Facebook friends)
- Volunteers notify IRC staff when/if they are ready to begin working withan additional student. All will be notified and asked to wrap up at 5pm.
REQUIREMENTS: This position requires flexibility, excellent communication skills, and basic digital literacy skills
- A Facebook account and personal Zoom account (both are free to sign up)
- Adhere to IRC volunteer and workplace policies& dress code
- Fluency in one of the following languages as well as English: Vietnamese, Dari/Farsi,Kinyarwanda, Swahili and Arabic.
- Willing to learn about IRC, cross-cultural communication andclients’ ethnic backgrounds
- IRC background check required, including driving history report
- Attend an online general volunteer orientation. Sign up here
- Attend a mandatory online tutoring orientation with Education team on Wednesday, October 14th. Sign up here.
- If you are not a current volunteer of the IRC, you will be required to pass a background check. We request a donation of $45 to cover the cost of the background check.
- Make sure your Facebook account and Zoom accounts are active or sign up for a free account, test your home computer set up (audio and video), and get ready to virtually meet some incredible youth!
Please email us at VolunteerSLC [at] rescue.org for any questions.
More opportunities in Salt Lake City, UT
Come support parents of young children and pregnant clients access healthy foods.
IRC Tech Squad Volunteer
Are you a tech geek wanting to support refugees and immigrants in Utah with digital literacy? Join our tech squad!
Student Support Volunteer
Support refugee students in the Salt Lake City area with their remote, online school work by providing basic academic and tech support for grades K-12.
Small Business Development Volunteer
Got business skills? Come support a refugee entrepreneur succeed with their business.