Position Description: Front Desk Volunteers are the face of the IRC. Volunteers in this role greet and direct all walk-ins and phone calls to appropriate staff members. With a substantial amount of client interaction, volunteers gain practice communicating with diverse populations to find share understanding. Additionally, at the front desk you will learn more about varied programs and services offered by the IRC in Tucson. The best fit for this position is someone who is personable, patient, flexible and a problem solver. Our staff is busy, which means we are not always accessible to those who walk or call-in, so you are crucial to providing a friendly space to ensure people feel welcome. If time allows, the position may also assist with various administrative tasks.
- Greet walk-ins, usually IRC clients, donors or volunteers and direct them to appropriate staff
- Manage lobby area
- Screen and direct phone calls that come through the general IRC number
- Utilize resources available, including the resource manual, online training and IRC staff to answer questions that come up throughout your shift
- Administrative and clerical support to staff including handling mail, processing donations managing office forms.
- At least one shift per week, either 9-12 or 1-5 on weekdays.
- Comfortable with saying no and asking questions
- Prior experience working with various language speakers preferred, but not required
- Passionate about refugee services
- Willing to learn about the IRC and our wide variety of programs
- Reliable and communicative of any schedule changes at least 24 hours prior to scheduled shifts
- Submit volunteer hours on a monthly basis.
- Donation of $50 to cover the cost of the background check
Practice communicating with limited English speakers
Practice languages you may be learning (Swahili, Arabic, Nepali, Kirundi, Kinyarwanda, Tigrinya, Amharic)
Professional development and administrative assistant skills
Shift options: Weekday shifts include 9am-12 and 1pm-5pm. Many shifts are already being filled by volunteers. Contact the volunteer coordinator VolunteerTucson [at] rescue.org to find out what shifts are available.
Find out the steps to become a volunteer here. (Scroll down past Volunteer Opportunities to see the Volunteer Process)
More opportunities in Tucson, AZ
Resettlement Store and Donations Support*
Assist the Resource Development staff in bringing and organizing community resources and distributing them to refugees clients.
Center for Well-being Program Assistance*
Volunteers assist with providing services that promote wellness and help clients access healthcare services that address their physical and psychological needs.
Community Garden Assistance
Volunteers work with refugee clients participating in the Nutrition and Food Security Program to grow their own produce, gain agricultural skills and maintain their own garden plots.
Job Readiness Training*
The IRC in Tucson seeks volunteers to support our Economic Empowerment Unit by helping clients complete job training classes.