Position Description: Front Desk Volunteers are the face of the IRC. Volunteers in this role greet and direct all walk-ins and phone calls to appropriate staff members. With a substantial amount of client interaction, volunteers gain practice communicating with diverse populations to find share understanding. Additionally, at the front desk you will learn more about varied programs and services offered by the IRC in Tucson. The best fit for this position is someone who is personable, patient, flexible and a problem solver. Our staff is busy, which means we are not always accessible to those who walk or call-in, so you are crucial to providing a friendly space to ensure people feel welcome. If time allows, the position may also assist with various administrative tasks.
- Greet walk-ins, usually IRC clients, donors or volunteers and direct them to appropriate staff
- Manage lobby area
- Screen and direct phone calls that come through the general IRC number
- Utilize resources available, including the resource manual, online training and IRC staff to answer questions that come up throughout your shift
- Administrative and clerical support to staff including handling mail, processing donations managing office forms.
- At least one shift per month, two shifts a month preferred
- Comfortable with saying no and asking questions
- Prior experience working with various language speakers preferred, but not required
- Passionate about refugee services
- Willing to learn about the IRC and our wide variety of programs
- Reliable and communicative of any schedule changes at least 24 hours prior to scheduled shifts
- Submit volunteer hours on a monthly basis.
- Donation of $50 to cover the cost of the background check
Practice communicating with limited English speakers
Practice languages you may be learning (Swahili, Arabic, Nepali, Kirundi, Kinyarwanda, Tigrinya, Amharic)
Professional development and administrative assistant skills
Shift options: Weekday shifts include 9am-12 and 1pm-5pm
- Review our current available volunteer positions.
- Get to know IRC and attend a Volunteer Information Session. RSVP to our next session by sending an email to VolunteerTucson [at] Rescue.org.
- After you’ve attended an information session, fill out an application online. Please note which volunteer position you would like to explore.
- The Volunteer Coordinator at IRC Tucson will contact you to set up a brief interview.
- Complete a background check. The IRC kindly asks volunteers to consider a suggested donation of $50 to help us toward the cost of this requirement. Note: In addition to the background check, some volunteer opportunities require a valid Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card. Before applying, ensure that the suggested opportunity indeed requires a Fingerprint Clearance Card. Fingerprint Clearance Cards are valid for five years and offer clearance for the carrier to work with a multitude of vulnerable populations, not just IRC clients. New fingerprint clearance card applicants should apply under ARS 46-141.
- You're ready to get started! Depending on your role, you'll either receive further training from your in-office department or wait to be matched with a family to tutor and/or mentor.
Additional things to note
Please note the IRC takes great care to ensure our volunteers are properly screened, trained and placed in opportunities. It may take up to two months to get placed. The IRC in Tucson has a number of different volunteer opportunities available within all programs of our organization. Please take note that all positions posted may not be available at all times.
More opportunities in Tucson, AZ
Financial Literacy Volunteer
Help provide financial literacy education to refugee families. Volunteers will assist the Economic Development program team to help refugees better understand and plan for responsible financial planning.
Community Garden Assistance
Volunteers work with refugee clients participating in the Nutrition and Food Security Program to grow their own produce, gain agricultural skills and maintain their own garden plots.
The ESL Tutor volunteer will assist refugees in teaching English language skills.
Family Nutrition Access Volunteer
Seeking volunteers to support our maternal & child health program by helping new and soon-to-be mothers access healthy foods.