Receptionist Volunteers provide temporary coverage for IRC Tucson front desk. They are primarily responsible for greeting visitors, handling incoming phone calls, and organizing the reception area. If time allows they may also assist with administrative tasks such as donor acknowledgment, donation processing, research projects, and other tasks as needed.
- Greet and refer clients to appropriate staff
- Manages lobby area, creating a welcoming and professional environment while ensuring security procedures are followed.
- Screens and directs incoming phone calls, providing information to callers and handling queries from clients and the public.
- Provides general administrative and clerical support to staff including handling mail, processing donations and managing office forms.
Requirements: Strong cross-cultural communication skills, keen attention to detail, ability to multi-task. Enjoys meeting new people.
Minimum Commitment: 3-4 hours/ week for 4 months during business hours (M-F; 8:30-5pm)
Morning Shift: Monday-Friday 9 am - 12 pm
Afternoon Shift: Monday-Friday 1 pm - 5 pm
- Review our current available volunteer positions.
- Get to know IRC and attend a Volunteer Information Session. RSVP to our next session by sending an email to VolunteerTucson [at] Rescue.org.
- After you’ve attended an information session, fill out an application online. Please note which volunteer position you would like to explore.
- The Volunteer Coordinator at IRC Tucson will contact you to set up a brief interview.
- Complete a background check. The IRC kindly asks volunteers to consider a suggested donation of $50 to help us toward the cost of this requirement. Note: In addition to the background check, some volunteer opportunities require a valid Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card. Before applying, ensure that the suggested opportunity indeed requires a Fingerprint Clearance Card. Fingerprint Clearance Cards are valid for five years and offer clearance for the carrier to work with a multitude of vulnerable populations, not just IRC clients. New fingerprint clearance card applicants should apply under ARS 46-141.
- You're ready to get started! Depending on your role, you'll either receive further training from your in-office department or wait to be matched with a family to tutor and/or mentor.
Additional things to note
Please note the IRC takes great care to ensure our volunteers are properly screened, trained and placed in opportunities. It may take up to two months to get placed. The IRC in Tucson has a number of different volunteer opportunities available within all programs of our organization. Please take note that all positions posted may not be available at all times.
More opportunities in Tucson, AZ
Volunteer will assist staff with the implementation of the IRC’s Manufacturing Career Pathway Bridge Program, which will prepare refugees for employment in the manufacturing sector
Community Garden Assistance
Volunteers work with refugee clients participating in the Nutrition and Food Security Program to grow their own produce, gain agricultural skills and maintain their own garden plots.
Family Mentor/ESL Tutor
Volunteers are paired with a refugee family and visit their home once a week to help them practice important life skills and improve English skills.
Women's Sewing Club - Childcare
Volunteers will assist with childcare during the sewing class so the women can focus on learning how to sew. Children may be infants through age 5. Over the summer months, this may change with school being out.