LOCATION: 208 Commerce Place, 4th Floor, Elizabeth, NJ 07201
TIME COMMITMENT: Interns: at least 2 days per week (Jan-May, May-Aug, Aug-Dec)
(Please note that is is an unpaid internship opportunity.)
• Assist employable clients to prepare resumes and prepare for interviews
• Assist clients with online job applications
• Accompany clients to job interviews and to clinic for drug screening
• Facilitate group orientations focused on employment program requirements and the World of Work
• Outreach to clients to follow up on job placements and track retention rates
• Research potential employers and job training programs
• Call, email and meet with local employers and identify job placement opportunities for refugees.
• Perform reception duties such as greeting visitors to the office and connecting them to appropriate staff.
• Other related duties as assigned, including answering and directing incoming phone calls.
Student will learn about refugee resettlement and refugee social services
Student will develop research and outreach skills
Student will learn how to interact with multi-cultural and limited English speaking clients
• Undergraduate level studies in business, social sciences, international relations or a related field.
• Must convey confidence, have effective communication skills and exhibit excellent attention to detail.
• Desired languages but not required: French, Spanish, Arabic, Dari/Farsi, Pashto, Kiswahili or Kinyarwanda.
• Strong desire to help refugees rebuild their lives in New Jersey.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a multicultural environment.
• Patience, understanding, flexibility, and an unceasingly positive attitude
• Willing to learn about IRC history, philosophy, global work, and local efforts.
• Willing to adhere to IRC volunteer and workplace policies.
• Willingness to transport clients via public transportation. A car is a plus.
This position reports to the Employment Specialist. Click here to apply.
More opportunities in Elizabeth, NJ
Refugee Empowerment Casework Intern
The intern will work with refugees and other humanitarian entrants up to five years after they have arrived in the United States.
Intensive Case Management Intern
The intern assists staff in providing intensive case management services to newly arrived refugees with medical/mental health needs, and helps refugee families access health care.
Volunteer Adult ESL Instructor
The IRC in New Jersey seeks volunteer ESL Instructors to facilitate English language learning among recently arrived adult refugees who have fled persecution in their home country and are rebuilding their lives in New Jersey.
Volunteer Adult ESL Tutor
The IRC in New Jersey seeks volunteer tutors to support English language learning among recently arrived adult refugees who have fled persecution in their home country and are rebuilding their lives in New Jersey.