LOCATION: 208 Commerce Place, 4th Floor, Elizabeth, NJ 07201
TIME COMMITMENT: Interns: at least 2 days per week (Jan-May, May-Aug, Aug-Dec)
(Please note that is is an unpaid internship opportunity.)
Assist casework staff with reception services to clients, including setting up apartments for new arrivals; assisting clients with an application for Social Security and state ID cards; teaching clients how to cash checks and use public transportation; accompanying clients to medical appointments, grocery shopping, and school enrollment.
Help clients prepare and understand forms and paperwork.
Facilitate group orientations to ensure clients have a good understanding of the Reception and Placement (R&P) program – (IRC will provide training to intern)
Assist staff with sorting and filing of documents and case files.
Maintain proper boundaries with clients, and refer issues regarding employment, social services, and healthcare to appropriate staff members.
Adhere to IRC policies, particularly those related to confidentiality and client privacy.
Display sensitivity to cultural and personality differences of refugee clients. Respect their beliefs and values.
Perform reception duties such as greeting visitors to the office and connecting them to appropriate staff.
Other related duties as assigned, including answering and directing incoming phone calls.
Provide translation and interpretation when necessary.
Student will learn about refugee resettlement and refugee social services
Student will develop problem-solving and client services skills
Student will learn how to manage client cases within established deadlines
• Undergraduate level studies in social sciences, international relations or a related field.
• Languages desired but not required: French, Spanish, Arabic, Dari/Farsi, Pashto, Kiswahili or Kinyarwanda.
• Strong desire to help refugees rebuild their lives in New Jersey.
• Excellent attention to detail and effective communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a multicultural environment.
• Patience, understanding, flexibility, and an unceasingly positive attitude.
• Willing to learn about IRC history, philosophy, global work, and local efforts.
• Willing to adhere to IRC volunteer and workplace policies.
• Able to transport clients locally by public transportation. Transporting clients by car is a plus.
This position reports to the Casework Supervisor. Click here to apply.
More opportunities in Elizabeth, NJ
Career Development Intern
The career development intern focuses on assisting clients through career counseling to advance beyond entry-level jobs and to resume their professional careers after resettlement.
Citizenship and Immigration Intern
The Immigration Program provides fee-based services to refugees, asylees, Cuban/Haitian entrants and other immigrants in New Jersey. The intern will work closely with IRC staff to provide legal services to clients seeking assistance with various forms of immigration.
Front Desk Intern/Volunteer
The Front Desk Volunteer will provide coverage for the reception desk, greet, direct client walk-ins, and schedule client appointments with appropriate staff.
Refugee Employment Intern
This intern will work closely with our employment specialist to help newly arrived refugees, asylees, and Cuban/Haitian entrants find and retain employment.