Thank you for your interest in assisting refugees and asylees in our community. By volunteering with the IRC in Sacramento, you can share your unique experience and skills directly with IRC clients. Volunteer support is an integral part of the IRC’s mission to provide opportunities for refugees to thrive in Sacramento.
These direct-service volunteers assist with initial resettlement activities such as setting up apartments, accompanying clients to appointments, teaching clients how to use public transportation, cashing checks, and acculturating to the Sacramento community. They also assist case managers in maintaining case files, updating case notes, and other office work. Part of this position includes transporting clients for official IRC visits and appointments within the Sacramento area during the volunteer's scheduled time in the office.
The ideal volunteer in this role is:
- Effective in accomplishing tasks in a warm and relational way
- Willing to support & complete fieldwork
- Experienced with administration, record keeping, scheduling and logistics
- Adaptable and comfortable multi-tasking
- Familiar with the Sacramento area, preferred
- Experienced with or has a desire to learn about social services, preferred
- Driving to help clients overcome barriers to receiving social services
- Valid driver’s license, reliable car, proof of insurance
- Client-related mileage is eligible for charitable rate reimbursement
Minimum Commitment: 6 + hrs/ week for a minimum 4 months during IRC business hours Mon – Fri from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Longer volunteer commitments encouraged.
All volunteers must be at least 18 years of age and undergo a security background check.
If interested in volunteering with the International Rescue Committee in Sacramento, please complete a volunteer application by following this link. You will be contacted by the Volunteer Coordinator as needs arise.
More opportunities in Sacramento, CA
Citizenship Workshop Assistant
Volunteers will assist clients as they complete their citizenship applications.
Housing & logistics volunteer
Assist refugees by helping secure and set up their first homes in Sacramento.
Donations support volunteer
Assist with outreach, coordination, receiving, and tracking of in-kind donations to support newly-arrived refugees.
One time support for specific projects, programs, and Saturday workshops!