SCOPE OF WORK:
The Technology Mentor will support refugee families recently resettled into Salt Lake City area by empowering them to unlock the potential of technology. This is an opportunity for individuals to act as both a mentor and guide in navigating a new community and creating a safe space for the family to learn and improve in their technology use and English skills.The Technology Mentor will assist refugee families.
- Work through IRC-provided computer literacy presentations and facilitate conversations on computer literacy-related topics during Zoom tutoring sessions
- Discover personal relevance of technology in everyday life
- Leveraging technology to reach education and career goals
- Learn basic skills to navigate a computer, smartphone, the internet, and other resources
- Work on becoming digital citizens who use technology positively and safely
- Able to commit at least two hours a week for six weeks; schedule is otherwise flexible.
- Patient, flexible and reliable
- Adhere to IRC volunteer and workplace policies, including confidentiality policies and respect for family experiences
- Strong internet connection and reliable schedule, ability to log in to Zoom
- Participate in check ins with the Digital Inclusion Coordinator when prompted
- Report on activities with mentee through web-based progress reports
- Able to communicate effectively and clearly in English, knowledge of any of these languages a plus: Kinyarwanda, Kiswahili, Rohingya, Dari/Farsi/Pashto, Spanish, Vietnamese and Arabic
- Intermediate to advanced computer skill
- Attend a general volunteer orientation to learn more about the IRC, the people we serve and the volunteer opportunities we host. Sign up here
- Attend tech mentor training on Tuesday, August 25th from 4-5:30pm. Sign up here
- All volunteers must clear a background check. We ask for a $45 donation to help cover the cost. Steps for this will be provided after you have attended both trainings.
Please email us at VolunteerSLC [at] rescue.org (subject: Tech%20Mentor%20-%20Inquiry) .
More opportunities in Salt Lake City, UT
Face Masks Sewing Volunteers
Do you know how to sew? Feeling crafty? Make reusable face masks for refugees families!
Spice Kitchen Incubator Community Food Box Volunteer
Support the refugee and immigrant entrepreneurs of IRC's Spice Kitchen Incubator by becoming a volunteer with the Community Food Box Program.
East African Goat Project Community Volunteer
Come volunteer at the East African Goat Project with some of our refugee families!
IRC in Salt Lake City Internships
IRC in Salt Lake City offers a variety of internships from case management to health to marketing and beyond!