Position Description: English instructors will work with the Program Coordinator to prepare lesson plans and deliver ELT instruction to students based on an IRC-approved curriculum. This is an essential volunteer role since many refugees and recent migrants arrive with little or no English language ability. The ELT volunteer serves as a tutor and resource for clients to acquire the English language skills necessary to live, work and eventually thrive in Wichita. The volunteer will have the following responsibilities:
- Lead or assist (depending on volunteer ability/preference) an adult ELS (English language skills) class using a virtual platform;
- Plan and execute appropriate lesson plans using IRC-approved curriculum and materials provided by the IRC;
- Reinforce English language learning through direct modeling and role-play, visual aids and other materials as necessary;
- Monitor clients’ English levels and track progress over time;
- Provide feedback on areas of continued need for educational outcomes to Program Coordinator, clients and IRC leadership team.
- Read, write and speak English fluently, no professional training necessary
- Comfortable with virtual teaching platforms (training will be provided)
- Patient and optimistic
- Dependable and prompt
- Belief and commitment to IRC’s mission and vision.
- Instructors are asked to commit to at least one class per week. Classes meet Monday-Friday 10:00-11:30am CST. Additional meetings and prep time are occasionally required.
- IRC asks for a minimum commitment of 4-6 months although there is no time limit for volunteers.
If interested, please submit a volunteer application and RSVP to attend an info session before starting as a volunteer with us.
Questions? Email us at VolunteerKS [at] Rescue.org .
For more information please call 316-351-5495 or VolunteerKS [at] Rescue.org
Working with the IRC: Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or persecution. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IRC serves refugees and other migrants in Wichita through extensive programming. Volunteers are the backbone of what we do; without you, the important role we play in helping people rebuild their lives would not be possible. Volunteers can be assured that we will provide the support and guidance you need to be successful.
More opportunities in Wichita, KS
Digital Literacy Internship
The Digital Literacy Intern will develop digital literacy curriculum for people of all abilities by incorporating a variety of technologies into instruction. This intern will work with Adult Education instructors and Employment Caseworkers to plan lessons that integrate components of ESL, child development and computer skills. S/he may also help with administrative tasks. Must be comfortable working with clients from a variety of backgrounds.
Virtual Family Mentor
Family Mentors support newly-arrived refugee families and individuals in their adaptation to life in the United States. Mentors act as both a friend and resource.