TIME COMMITMENT: 3 hours per week for a minimum of 6 months
BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in over 40 countries and 25 U.S. cities to restore safety, dignity, and hope, the IRC leads the way from harm to home.
SCOPE OF WORK: The IRC in New Jersey seeks volunteer tutors to support English language learning among recently arrived adult refugees who have fled persecution in their home country and are rebuilding their lives in New Jersey. IRC will pair tutors with students based on mutual availability. Tutors may support students during ESL classes or during individual or small group sessions. Tutors should be available to volunteer at least 3 hours per week. Strong preference will be given to volunteers who can tutor for a period of six months.
• Facilitate one-on-one to small group instruction using provided curriculum.
• Promote core competencies of English language skills needed to obtain and retain employment and achieve self-sufficiency.
• Create a welcoming environment that fosters community while interacting with a diverse population.
• Record attendance and prepare lesson materials effectively.
• Meet with Education and Learning staff to evaluate student progress, define weekly lesson objectives and summarize student learning outcomes.
• Commitment of 3 hours per week of tutoring plus additional planning time for lesson preparation.
• Attend volunteer orientation and one additional training workshop during the session.
• Proven interest in serving the community and supporting others.
• A willingness to provide respectful, relevant, and effective instructional content.
• A willingness to work with, and take direction from, program staff.
• A desire to work with adults from different cultural, educational, and economic backgrounds.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently in a multi-cultural environment.
• Experience in educational settings (K-12 or adult education) preferred but not required.
• Arabic, French, and/or Spanish speaking preferred but not required
This is an excellent opportunity to gain instructional experience and IRC will work with volunteers actively enrolled in a TESOL certification course and required to engage in a field placement.
Click here to apply.
More opportunities in Elizabeth, NJ
2020 Refugee Youth Summer Academy (RYSA) Volunteer
In August 2020, the IRC in New Jersey will host a three-week summer program focusing on English as a Second Language (ESL) enrichment for refugee youth living in Elizabeth and Roselle, New Jersey. The Refugee Youth Summer Academy (RYSA) will serve up to 90 students ages 5 – 20, in six classes, from at least 10 countries. Students will engage in ESL, creative arts, sports, field trips, and other activities. RYSA volunteers will work closely with the ESL Lead Teachers, clinical psychology doctoral students to reinforce English language learning and school preparation with refugee youth in a positive and healing classroom environment.
Cultural Orientation Volunteer
The IRC in New Jersey seeks volunteers to teach Cultural Orientation classes, where newly arrived refugees learn about the basics of life in the U.S. Wide-ranging topics such as emergency services, transportation, and school are covered so that refugees can begin to thrive in their new environment. Volunteers will also help newly arrived refugees explore their neighborhoods and provide follow-up support for individuals needing additional one-on-one assistance.
IRC NJ Adult Education Intern
The Adult Education Intern assists newly arrived refugee clients in a multi-level and culturally diverse English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESL) classroom to gain English literacy and comprehension skills. This intern will also assist in supporting logistics for cultural orientation classes, where newly arrived refugee clients gain an understanding of community resources and expectations for the resettlement period.
Volunteer interpreters will provide interpretation and translation on an on-call basis for clients and staff. Volunteer Interpreters needed (Arabic, French, Haitian Creole, Kiswahili, Dari, Farsi, Pashto, Tigrinya and Other Languages).