Background: The mission of the IRC is to help people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their future. The IRC’s New Roots program has developed services and infrastructure aimed at engaging low-income families in urban agriculture, nutrition education, and healthy food access navigation. New Roots builds on the agricultural experience of many new refugee and immigrant families by providing access to land, materials, and education for program participants to grow healthy food.
New Roots Program Services include: Increasing Food Access, Fostering Income Generation, Improving Nutrition, Building Community, Developing Leadership and Skills.
Scope of Internship: The Youth Roots Program Intern will have the opportunity to learn how to run a summer youth internship program. Youth Roots is a program that engages and builds with youth who are passionate about food justice, land justice, and sustainability through a paid summer internship and other activities throughout the year. The Intern will primarily be supporting the Youth Roots Specialist with summer program implementation. Tasks will include facilitating curriculum and support with program logistics. This is a great position for someone who has a youth and community centered approach and is passionate about food and land access and justice.
Location: Hybrid. Needs to be remote and in-person at program sites in Tukwila, WA.
Time Committment: 15-20 hours/week during IRC office hours (M-F, 9am-5pm). Regular schedule preferred. Minimum 2-3-month commitment. Position begins June 2022. Ideal commitment is June-September with Monday – Thursday availability.
Essential Position Functions:
- Support with program planning and logistics as needed.
- Support with curriculum development.
- Co-facilitate a variety of in person and virtual activities and discussions during youth summer internship with Youth Roots Specialist.
- Co-supervise youth program participants at various program sites and trips.
- Call program participants (and their families) for enrollment, surveys or program updates as needed.
- Work with interpreters to convey information in client’s language (training provided)
- Recommend and contribute to social media and blog post content, highlighting program activities.
- Some data entry input as needed.
- Must have access to a car.
- Must have a computer and cell phone.
- Passion for food justice and food access in local communities.
- Comfortable leading group conversation and demonstrated ability to adjust communication styles to be clear with different audiences.
- Strong organizational skills with focus on details.
- Confidence in basic computer skills; must be able to work effectively with MS Word, Excel, email, and internet applications.
- Must be able to work productively in a team environment, as well as under minimal supervision, taking the initiative to ask questions as needed.
- Deep commitment to IRC’s core values and the ability to model and communicate those values in relationships with IRC staff, clients and partners.
- Willingness to adhere to IRC workplace policies.
- Knowledge of following is a plus: US food systems, gardening/agriculture, social justice systems and nutrition.
- Fluency or advanced proficiency in a second language (Dari, Farsi, Arabic, Swahili, Spanish, and Burmese speakers especially encouraged to apply)
- Experience working with youth.
- Experience working with interpreters.
- Experience working in multicultural environments is a plus.
Reports to: Youth Roots Specialist
Please note, all interns are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. This is an unpaid internship.
1. Please email VolunteerSEA [at] rescue.org with a resume and cover letter
2. Please fill out an internship application
More opportunities in Seattle, WA
Citizenship Class Volunteer
Help refugee and immigrant community members become U.S. citizens! We are recruiting for volunteers to join for the start of Q3 classes on July 5th, 2022!
Family Wellness Administrative Support Volunteer
Help assist IRC refugee, immigrant and asylee clients access mainstream and specialized services.
Community Garden Volunteer
Come support community gardeners and our New Roots program at our community garden sites!
On-call Business Finance Volunteer
Support refugee and immigrant business owners with business finances on an ad hoc basis!