Youth Support Group Volunteer | 2-4.5 hours per week for 1 semester
Help refugee youth integrate through social and civic engagement and group interaction
Middle School: Thursday 3-5:30
High School: Tuesday 3-5
Location: Off-site in the Abilene area.
- Assist with academic lessons, group discussions, activities, etc.
- Assist in transporting youth to and from IRC youth support groups, orientations, fieldtrips, and social and civic engagements, as applicable. (Must pass driving check and agree to driving policies)
- Assist with group facilities set up and tear down
Ready to start?
- RSVP to and attend an information session.
- Review our current available volunteer positions and choose 3 that best fit your interests, skills, and schedule.
- Complete a volunteer application. You will be contacted by the Volunteer Coordinator as needs arise for your chosen position.You may be selected for an interview.
- Completing 2 reference checks and a background check.
- Once the interview is confirmed and conducted, successful interviewees will complete the necessary background checks. To protect our clients, we require background checks for all our volunteers, and we ask volunteers to make a $45 donation to cover associated costs. Currently, 92% of our funding goes directly to our clients, and your help to cover this cost allows us to continue providing the best service possible. These donations can be made at the IRC in Abilene office during normal business hours. For inquiries regarding the donation specifically, please reach out to Jen.Rogers [at] Rescue.org (subject: Volunteer%20Interest) (Jen) at (325) 675-5643.
- Complete onboarding training and paperwork.
More opportunities in Abilene, TX
Help address the education gap many youth face when arriving to the US. Tutor school aged refugee youth after school.
Youth mentors work one-on-one with a refugee youths (ages 15-24) through social interaction.
Single Mother Mentor
Single mother mentors work one-on-one with a refugee mothers (ages XX-24) through social interaction and friendship.
Support the IRC in Abilene team by helping to coordinate in-kind donations, donors and logistics.