Minimum Commitment: 1 Semester
Hours: 1-2 hours per week
Youth tutors help address the education gap many youth face when arriving to the US. Tutors work with youth outside the tradition school day.
Middle School: Thursday 3:45-4:45
High School: Monday/Wednesday _____
Location: Off-site in the Abilene area.
- Review assignments, content, and homework with students.
Help students learn how to problem solve, comprehend, and apply course work, as applicable
Ready to start?
- RSVP to and attend an information session.
- Review our current available volunteer positions and choose 3 that best fit your interests, skills, and schedule.
- Complete a volunteer application. You will be contacted by the Volunteer Coordinator as needs arise for your chosen position.You may be selected for an interview.
- Completing 2 reference checks and a background check.
- Once the interview is confirmed and conducted, successful interviewees will complete the necessary background checks. To protect our clients, we require background checks for all our volunteers, and we ask volunteers to make a $45 donation to cover associated costs. Currently, 92% of our funding goes directly to our clients, and your help to cover this cost allows us to continue providing the best service possible. These donations can be made at the IRC in Abilene office during normal business hours. For inquiries regarding the donation specifically, please reach out to jen.rogers [at] rescue.org (subject: Volunteer%20Interest) (Jen) at (325) 675-5643.
- Complete onboarding training and paperwork.
More opportunities in Abilene, TX
Youth mentors work one-on-one with a refugee youths (ages 15-24) through social interaction.
Single Mother Mentor
Single mother mentors work one-on-one with a refugee mothers (ages XX-24) through social interaction and friendship.
Anti-Trafficking Research Assistant Volunteer
Support the Anti-Trafficking Coordinator by helping with research and data collection.
Anti-Trafficking Community Outreach Volunteer
Support the Anti-Trafficking Coordinator by helping coordinate outreach in the local community