Immigration Program Intern
Job Title: Immigration Program Intern
Country Profile: US Programs
Location: Los Angeles
BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities to restore safety, dignity and hope, the IRC leads the way from harm to home. Domestically, our 22 offices across the U.S. ensure new arrivals have food, shelter, and clothing, and work with refugees to help them gain self-sufficiency.
SCOPE OF WORK: The Immigration Program Intern will assist the immigration team with various immigration services, community outreach, grant reporting, and building partnerships with community based organizations.
COMMITMENT: Interns have the opportunity to work at least 15-20 hours per week, Monday through Friday, for a minimum of 3-4 months. This is an unpaid internship.
• Help clients with initial intake and application for naturalization.
• Notify clients of USCIS interviews and ensure they have the required documents complete and available for the interview.
• Assist in developing and continuing relationships with Los Angeles public libraries and other community members.
• Coordinate citizenship informational sessions and conduct extensive outreach in the surrounding communities.
• Track program progress for the purpose of grant reporting.
• The intern will gain experience in the naturalization process and the intricacies of the immigration system at the local level.
• Current undergraduate, graduate student, or less than one year out of school
• Fluency in one of the following languages strongly preferred: Arabic, Armenian, Farsi and Spanish
• Familiar with the mission of IRC and willing to represent it appropriately
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with refugees and asylees
• Ability to work well with a culturally diverse staff
• Prior experience in immigration is a plus
• California driver’s license and functioning vehicle
This position reports to the Immigration Coordinator.
To apply please send a cover letter and résumé to Rameena Rahman, Volunteer Coordinator: Rameena.Rahman@rescue.org