Back to School Backpack Drive
This summer, the IRC will resettle many families from Iraq, Burma, Somalia, Congo, and other countries. The children in these families will attend their first day of school in the United States in the fall.
For some, it will be their first day of school ever.
The IRC needs your help to ensure that every child has a backpack and school supplies on that first day. You can help by pledging to donate a new backpack and school supplies for one or more children.
The backpack makes the first day of school a little better for refugee kids of all ages.
This is a great project for families, civic groups, book clubs, or individuals who enjoy shopping.
Here's how it works:
- Contact Amanda.Cochran@Rescue.org to sign up for a grade range/gender (grades K-3, 4-6, 7-8, or 9-12)
- If you have no preference, we'll let you know which grade/gender needs backpacks.
- You'll receive a list of suggested school supplies to include
- Buy the backpack(s) and fill with supplies.
- Deliver them to the IRC by Monday, August 5, 2013.
- The IRC will distribute the backpacks to the children before school starts.
Thank you for your support!
Photo: Children with their school supplies. Wafa Katto/The IRC
Photo: Backpacks donated last year. Sharon Kennedy/The IRC