Back to School Backpack Drive
This summer, the IRC will resettle many families from Iraq, Burma, Somalia, Congo, and other countries. The children in these families will attend their first day of school in the United States in the fall. For some, it will be their first day of school ever.
The IRC would like your help to ensure that that every child has a backpack and school supplies on that first day. You can help buy pledging to donate a new backpack and school supplies for one or more children. The backpack makes the first day of school a little better for refugee kids of all ages.
This is a great project for families, civic groups, book clubs, or individuals who enjoy shopping. Here's how it works.
- Contact Sharon.Kennedy@Rescue.org to sign up for a grade range/gender (grades K-3, 4-6, 7-8, or 9-12)
- If you have no preference, we'll let you know which grade/gender needs backpacks.
- You'll receive a list of suggested school supplies to include
- Buy the backpack(s) and fill with supplies.
- Deliver them to the IRC by Monday, August 20, 2012.
- The IRC will distribute the backpacks to the children before school starts.
Thank you for your support!
Photo: Backpacks (previous backpack drive) ready with name tags Sharon Kennedy/The IRC