Volunteer Application Process
Steps to becoming an IRC Volunteer:
1. Get to know the IRC in Baltimore and learn more about how you can be involved by attending a monthly information session. The information session is held on the last Monday of every month from 5:00-7:00pm at the IRC Baltimore office located at 3516 Eastern Ave., Baltimore, MD 21224. Space in the orientation is limited. To reserve a spot, see the dates below and RSVP for the information session by emailing us at Volunteerbaltimore@rescue.org.
2. When you are ready to join the IRC as a volunteer, fill out the volunteer application and email it back to our Volunteer Coordinator, Ms. Kafiya Ismail at Volunteerbaltimore@rescue.org. When completing the application, please provide email addresses and local phone numbers for your references, and specific information regarding your availability and interests. Please note that due to the large number of volunteer applications that we receive, we are unable to accept all applicants.
3. Complete an interview with the Volunteer Coordinator and additional staff as required to determine whether there is an appropriate volunteer position available for you.
4. The Volunteer Coordinator will contact you to suggest a placement that meets your skills, interests and availability as well as the needs of the IRC in Baltimore and the population we serve.
5. Once you complete an interview and agree to a suggested position with the Volunteer Coordinator, the IRC will conduct a background check. Your volunteer placement will only be confirmed after your background check is cleared. The IRC in Baltimore requests that you pay $30 toward the cost of your IRC background check before your first day of service.
6. When your placement is confirmed, the Volunteer Coordinator will work with you and the appropriate staff person to schedule your first day. All newly accepted volunteers are required to attend an orientation session to learn about office policies, confidentiality, and communication guidelines, and to make all efforts to participate in ongoing training opportunities.
The application process typically takes at least two weeks to complete (including the background check).
Monday, September 29th
Monday, October 27th
Please contact email@example.com or 410 558 3182 with questions or to RSVP for the orientation session.
Upcoming Family Mentor Training Sessions:
Family Mentor Training is held once a month from 6:00-8:30pm at the Baltimore Resettlement Center (BRC). These sessions are facilitated by the IRC and the Refugee Youth Project to provide an introduction to the resettlement process and to focus on strategies and tools for effective mentoring. Please contact Taylor Jenkins at firstname.lastname@example.org
*Please Note: For the safety of our refugee/asylee clients, volunteers are asked to provide references and must pass a background check prior to starting as a volunteer.