Reception and Placement Program Intern
Job Title: Reception and Placement Program Intern
Country Profile: US Programs
Location: Los Angeles
BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities to restore safety, dignity and hope, the IRC leads the way from harm to home. Domestically, our 22 offices across the U.S. ensure new arrivals have food, shelter, and clothing, and work with refugees to help them gain self-sufficiency.
SCOPE OF WORK: The Casework Team provides initial services to orient refugees to life in the U.S. These services include securing housing, addressing medical concerns, registering children in school, applying for Social Security cards and State IDs, and linking clients to our internal and mainstream services.
COMMITMENT: Interns have the opportunity to work at least 15-20 hours per week, Monday through Friday, for a minimum of 3-4 months. This is an unpaid internship.
• Assist Reception and Placement (R&P) Case Workers in managing clients’ cases and maintaining case files
• Initial orientation (to IRC, health clinic, job, shopping centers)
• Assisting refugees with doctor’s appointments and researching appropriate medical providers for refugees and/or low-income families
• Securing housing and furniture for newly arrived refugee families
• Providing general administrative support with data entry and case notes.
1. Intern will gain US field-office experience interacting with and assisting refugees recently resettled in the U.S.
• Current undergraduate, graduate student, or less than one year out of school
• Fluent English required; Armenian or Farsi required.
• Familiar with the mission of IRC and willing to represent it appropriately
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with refugees, asylees and other immigrations
• Ability to work independently as well as in a team
• California driver’s license and functioning vehicle
• Computer literacy – preferably with PC systems
This position reports to the Caseworker Supervisor.
To apply please send a résumé to Alondra Suarez, Volunteer Coordinator at Alondra.Suarez@rescue.org