How to Become a Volunteer or Intern
Thank you for your interest in becoming a volunteer or intern with the IRC in Phoenix. The IRC's mission driven volunteer and intern program engages community members who increase effectiveness through directly working with refugees and providing support behind the scenes.
Steps to becoming an IRC volunteer or intern:
1. Get to know the IRC in Phoenix and learn more about how you can be involved by attending a monthly information session. The information session is held on the second Monday of every month from 4:30-6:30pm at the IRC office located at 4425 West Olive Avenue #400 Glendale, AZ 85302. To request a listing of current opportunities or RSVP for the information session (appreciated but not required), email VolunteerPHX@Rescue.org.
Upcoming Information Sessions:
Monday, February 10, 2014
Monday, March 10, 2014
Monday, April 14, 2014
2. When you are ready to join the IRC as a volunteer or intern, fill out entirely the volunteer and intern application. You can receive an application when you attend the information session or download it now. When completing the application, please provide email addresses and local phone numbers for your references, and specific information regarding your availability and interests. You are responsible for sending the reference request form provided in the application packet to your contacts, and having them email it back directly to VolunteerPHX@Rescue.org. Your application will proceed once the IRC receives positive feedback from at least two references who are not your relatives. Internship applicants should submit a resume with their completed application.
3. Complete an interview with the Volunteer Coordinator and additional staff as required to determine whether there is an appropriate volunteer or intern position available for you.
4. The Volunteer Coordinator will contact you to suggest a placement that meets your skills, interests and availability as well as the needs of the IRC in Phoenix and the population we serve.
5. Once you complete an interview and agree to a suggested position with the Volunteer Coordinator, the IRC will conduct a background check and request proof of a valid Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card. New fingerprint clearance card applicants should apply under ARS 46-141. Your volunteer or intern placement will only be confirmed after your IRC background check is cleared and you have provided proof of a valid Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card. The IRC in Phoenix respectfully requests that you consider donating $30 toward the cost of your IRC background check.
6. When your placement is confirmed, the Volunteer Coordinator will work with you and the appropriate staff person to schedule your first day. All newly accepted volunteers and interns are required to attend an orientation session to learn about office policies, confidentiality, and communication guidelines, and to make all efforts to participate in ongoing training opportunities.