Summer Youth Intern
This position is now closed to applications.
SCOPE OF VOLUNTEER WORK:
The Summer Youth Intern helps newly arrived refugee youth transition to the U.S. school system through the IRC’s Newcomer School Readiness Program. In the summer of 2013, the IRC will offer a 7 week summer program for recently arrived refugee youth in the Tukwila School District. Classes will be held in the mornings and will include activities aimed at orienting newly arrived refugee youth to the classroom in the US. Under the direction of the IRC Summer Youth Coordinator, interns will facilitate activities that focus on learning English, school behavior, and explanations of general rules and safety. The program also works to orient our students to their new neighborhood by taking them on walking field trips and planning outdoor activities. Internship positions are also available in the afternoons with our project partner the Community Schools Collaboration.
LOCATION: Tukwila, WA
TIME COMMITMENT: At least 2 days/week (M-Th, 8am-1pm) 10+ hrs/week. Regular schedule required. Position begins end of June and continues through mid-August.
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS:
- Provide orientations to newly arrived refugee youth
- Support Summer Youth Coordinator by assisting with classroom activities
- Plan classroom activities as directed by Summer Youth Coordinator
- Provide assistance in administering pre and post assessment
- Help escort youth from their apartments in the morning
- Help with set-up and clean-up of classroom on a daily basis
- Help plan field trips
- Help plan end of the summer celebration
- Must be culturally sensitive and able (or willing to try) to understand English language learners
- Willing to adhere to IRC volunteer and workplace policies
- Previous experience working with youth, comfortable leading activities, managing groups and supervising children
- Ability to communicate clearly, effectively and articulately in English; additional fluency in a refugee language helpful
- Must be fun, energetic, and flexible