Summer Youth Intern
SCOPE OF VOLUNTEER WORK:
Summer Youth Interns helps newly arrived refugee youth transition to the U.S. school system through the IRC’s Newcomer School Readiness Program. In the summer of 2014, the IRC will offer a 7 week summer program for recently arrived refugee youth in the Tukwila School District. Classes will be held in the mornings and will include activities aimed at orienting newly arrived refugee youth to the classroom in the US. Under the direction of the IRC Summer Youth Coordinator, interns will facilitate activities that focus on learning English, school behavior, and explanations of general rules and safety. The program also works to orient students to their new neighborhood by taking them on walking field trips and planning outdoor activities.
LOCATION: Tukwila, WA
TIME COMMITMENT: At least2 days/week (M-Th, 7:30am-12:30pm) 10+ hrs/week. Regular schedule required. Position begins end of June and continues through mid-August.
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS:
- Provide orientations to newly arrived refugee youth
- Support Summer Youth Coordinator and Specialist by assisting with classroom activities
- Plan classroom activities as directed by Summer Youth Coordinator or Specialist
- Provide assistance in administering pre- and post-assessments
- Escort youth from their apartments in the morning to the program location
- Help with clean-up of classroom on a daily basis
- Help chaperone field trips
- Must be culturally sensitive and able (or willing to try) to understand English language learners; previous cross-cultural experience is a definite plus
- Previous experience working with youth; comfortable leading activities, managing groups and supervising children
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in English; additional fluency in a refugee language helpful
- Must be fun, energetic, and flexible!
- Pass a criminal background check and be willing to adhere to IRC volunteer and workplace policies
Reports to: Summer Youth Coordinator