Citizenship Preparation Instructor
Job Title: Intern, Citizenship Preparation Instructor
Country Profile: US Programs
Location: Tucson, AZ
The Citizenship Preparation Instructor will collaborate with the Immigration Program Coordinator to develop and deliver Naturalization Test Preparation educational programming to refugee U.S. Citizenship applicants. The Instructor will teach the following subjects: U.S. Civics, English language reading, writing, and speaking, as well as interviewing skills. Classes may be held at the IRC office or in other pre-arranged locations.
- Prepare and present naturalization curriculum and materials to program participants.
- Engage students and encourage class participation.
- Keep accurate attendance records ensuring student sign-in.
- Model correct English language usage for students.
- Track individual student progress and identify individual challenges.
- Aid in the creation of supplemental teaching materials and activities.
- Assist Immigration Program Coordinator as assigned.
- Pursuing degree in Education, or equivalent experience in developing and/or delivering training presentations, preferably in a multicultural context
- Flexibility, strong organization skills and attention to detail
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in English; additional fluency in a refugee language preferred
- Strong intercultural communication skills; demonstrated ability to work effectively with people from other cultural backgrounds
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- 10 hours/week for 4 months
- Primary availability during weekday evenings (current classes are held Tuesday and Thursday) with occasional weekend activities and meetings during IRC business hours (M-F; 8:30am-5:00 pm)
- Special consideration given to applicants able to make multi-semester commitment
Reports To: Immigration Program Coordinator
Submit a resume, cover letter, and internship application to Andrew Jenkins, Internship Coordinator, at VolunteerTucson@Rescue.org. Some positions may require additional documents. Applicants will not be contacted for interviews until all materials are received.