Health Advocacy Case Management Intern
Job Title: Intern, Health Advocacy Case Management
Country Profile: US Programs
Location: Tucson, Arizona
The Health Advocate Intern works in close coordination with the Medical Case Manager, refugee clients, and local healthcare providers to coordinate and advocate for the healthcare and preventative health needs of refugee and asylee clients of the International Rescue Committee.Upon arrival to the United States, they face a new set of challenges to effectively navigate the US healthcare system and access important community health resources. Interns will gain experience networking with healthcare providers, coordinating client appointments, and working with multi-cultural individuals.
- Coordinate scheduling, interpreters and transportation for all new arrivals to establish appropriate PCP and follow-up care.
- Serve as patient advocate, accompany clients to medical appointments, report follow-up and referrals from providers and record all activity as directed.
- Provide training to clients regarding pharmacy services and understanding how to access prescription and over-the-counter medications.
- Assist clients to become self sufficient in accessing transportation to medical appointments by providing trainings and assisting with applications to special transportation services as needed.
- Work closely with the Medical Case Manager to assist clients to find health resources which best meet their needs including implementing action plans tailored specifically to the health needs of individual clients.
- Reinforce clients’ understanding of treatment instructions, medical service plan, and follow-up care.
- Pursuing degree in health sciences, social work or possessing equivalent experience.
- Strong intercultural communication skills; demonstrated ability to work effectively with people from other cultural backgrounds.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Understanding and ability to maintain strict confidentiality regarding client information.
- Driver’s license, personal vehicle, auto insurance, and clean driving record.
- Preference given to applicants able to make multi-semester commitment.
- 12 hrs/wk (minimum) for 3 months
- Primary availability during IRC business hours (M-F; 8:30am-5:00pm)
Reports To: Medical Case Manager
Submit a resume, cover letter, and internship application to the Internship Coordinator, at VolunteerTucson@Rescue.org. Some positions may require additional documents. Applicants will not be contacted for interviews until all materials are received.