The IRC in Central African Republic
For decades, the Central African Republic has experienced conflict that continues despite a tenuous peace process. This ongoing instability has displaced 300,000 people and stunted the nation’s growth. The International Rescue Committee is helping the people of CAR to rebuild their lives in safe, healthy and productive communities, laying a foundation for the country’s future.
How We Help
- The IRC educates community leaders on national law and human rights.
- The IRC works with farmers and entrepreneurs to improve job prospects, grow businesses and restore local economies.
- The IRC distributes food and offers economic opportunities to displaced and vulnerable community members like women and young adults.
- The IRC provides health care and emotional support to survivors of sexual violence.
- We support and build schools that teach children to read and write and provide them with a safe place to play.
- We build latrines, dig wells and repair water sources to improve hygiene and access to safe water.
(Updated October 2013)