Refugee Crisis in Greece
The International Rescue Committee is responding to the humanitarian crisis in Greece, assisting refugees who are arriving on the island of Lesbos or have been stranded at Idomeni camp in north. Most of the refugees have fled the unrelenting civil war in Syria, now in its sixth year.
How We Help
- The IRC is continuing to improve the living conditions for refugees staying in the Kara Tepe transit camp near the island's capital, Mytilene.
- We are delivering clean water, constructing showers and providing sanitation services in Kara Tepe to help prevent outbreaks of disease.
- The IRC is providing newly arrived refugees with much needed information about their rights and how to be properly processed by the authorities.
- IRC aid workers identify the most vulnerable refugees, including children who are travelling on their own and ensure that they are taken proper care of when they reach Mytilene.
- The IRC provides specialized services for women, children, the elderly and for the sick, including baby strollers, wheelchairs, crutches, medical referrals, expedited registration and psychosocial support.
- We are also have a team of aid workers in Idomeni in northern Greece where some 14,000 refugees remain stranded in a makeshift camp due to closed borders. The IRC is providing sanitation services and identifying vulnerable refugees including women traveling alone.
- The IRC is also assisting Syrian refugees in Serbia, in Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey, as well as Syrians trapped by the violence inside their country. Read about our regional Syria crisis response.
Charity Navigator gave the IRC its highest rating of four stars.
CharityWatch gives the IRC an A+.
IRC meets all 20 of BBB Wise Giving Alliance’s accountability standards.
ISSUES IN FOCUS
- Child Soldiers
- Child Survival
- Domestic Violence
- Economic Recovery
- Emergency Response
- Ending Violence against Women
- Governance & Rights
- Humanitarian Aid
- Immigration and Citizenship
- Iraqis in Crisis
- New Roots Refugee Agriculture
- Overseas Processing
- Post Conflict Development
- Protecting Children
- Reproductive Health Care
- Resettling Refugees
- Urban Refugees
- Water and Sanitation