The IRC in Tanzania
Tanzania has been surrounded by conflict and has hosted refugees from Burundi, Rwanda and Democratic Republic of Congo. Welcoming these displaced people has strained Tanzania’s already limited resources and the International Rescue Committee has helped support the refugees with emergency aid and ongoing services as they wait in temporary camps to return home or resettle.
How We Help
- The IRC identifies vulnerable children and makes sure they have access to health care, education and a safe place to play.
- We educate youth about reproductive health and HIV/AIDS and provide cultural and recreational activities.
- The IRC prevents sexual violence, raising awareness about survivors and responding to the their needs.
- We help refugees return home or complete the naturalization process to remain in Tanzania.
- We distribute food, soap, blankets and other necessities.