IRC calls for urgent exemptions to sanctions in Niger
- The IRC and other humanitarian agencies are urging for exemptions to be introduced to the collective sanctions imposed on Niger to guarantee ongoing access to aid, particularly for vulnerable groups like children.
- Currently 4.3 million people in Niger urgently require humanitarian aid, including 700,000 internally displaced persons, refugees, and asylum seekers.
- "The clock is ticking, and the lives of Nigerian children are hanging in the balance,” said Paolo Cernuschi, IRC’s country director in Niger. “Without swift action to implement humanitarian exemptions, we risk losing the battle against malnutrition and preventable diseases.”
- Total population: 17 million
- People displaced by crisis: 291,000
- Rank in Human Development Index: 189 of 191
- Started work in Niger: 2013