Over 3,000 people killed by extreme flooding in Libya
- The flooding caused by Storm Daniel has resulted in over 3,000 deaths and an estimated 10,000 missing persons.
- The collapse of two dams has exacerbated the crisis, causing catastrophic damage to entire neighbourhoods.
- The challenges are substantial, with communication lines down and extensive destruction impeding rescue efforts.
- The IRC emphasises the need for international attention and immediate climate action due to the compounded effects of climate change and years of conflict and instability.
- Population: 6.9 million
- People in need of humanitarian assistance: 800,000, projected to rise to 1.5 million during 2022
- Humanitarian Development Index rank: 104 of 191
- Started work: 2016
- People assisted in 2021: 141,738