Volunteer opportunities with the IRC in Boise
In response to COVID-19, the IRC in Boise office is in hybrid operation in order to uphold everyone's safety and limit the number of staff, volunteers, and clients in office. After suspending many volunteer activities over the past year, we are re-opening more volunteer opportunities to serve refugee and Afghan families. Available volunteer positions may be remote, in-person, or hybrid depending on the need.
*Note: The IRC in Boise has a vaccine requirement policy, effective as of October 1st, 2021.
Please submit a volunteer application to be reviewed for available opportunities.
Without our volunteers and their generous efforts, the work at the IRC in Boise not be possible. Thank you for your interest in continuing that work.
We have three tracks for individuals interested in volunteering with the IRC: in-office volunteer opportunities, student internships (click here to view our current internship openings), and the Friendship Partner Program.
Monthly Community Information Sessions
Learn more about getting involved with the IRC in Boise by attending one of our open information sessions held each month. Information sessions are held remotely.
Attendance at an information session is mandatory prior to starting a volunteer position with the IRC in Boise.
After attending an information session, you will be invited to complete a volunteer application and submit online.
Once you have submitted your volunteer application, IRC in Boise's Volunteer Coordinator will review your skills, availability, and top three volunteer position preferences.
For most volunteer positions, an interview will be required prior to placement into the team, so be on the lookout for an invitation to interview.
Complete a background check; the IRC kindly requests that volunteers contribute $45 towards the cost of this requirement. Once your background check has cleared, the Volunteer Coordinator will contact you to discuss your start date.
Please be aware that due to increased interest and the COVID-19 outbreak, it may take 2-4 weeks to process your application and pair you with a volunteer position with IRC. If your volunteering needs are time sensitive, please note this on your application.
For more information, contact [email protected].
Friendship Partner Program
The Friendship Partner program is an opportunity for Idahoans of all backgrounds and newly-arrived refugees to build bridges of understanding, cross-cultural learning, and friendship. We match interested volunteers with newly-arrived refugee families to help ease their transition into their new community. Mentors focus on refugees' English acquisition, adjustment to American culture, and integration into the local community, while learning about the culture and language of the refugee family.
Time Commitment: This volunteer position requires a 3-6 month long commitment with 2-4 hours of engagement with the matched family per week. This position is a great match for families or people who cannot volunteer within traditional 9am-5pm office hours.
Application Process: If you are interested in becoming a Friendship Partner, there is a separate application and onboarding process outlined below:
1. Click here to submit an application. Please write "Friendship Partner" in the box asking your "top three position choices."
2. Click here to register for an upcoming Friendship Partner Orientation at the IRC in Boise with our partners, Glocal Community Partners.
3. After attending an orientation, our Friendship Partner Program Coordinator will reach out to you to confirm your interest in being matched with a family.
4. A background check will be sent to you via email from IRC's partner, Hireright. Background checks through this agency are a mandatory part of qualifying to become a Friendship Partner. We kindly request a donation in the amount of $45 to go towards the cost of the background check, though payment is not required.
5. The Friendship Partner Program Coordinator will arrange an initial introduction meeting between the two new Friendship Partner families!
Questions about the program? Email our volunteer Friendship Partner Program Coordinator at: [email protected]