The International Rescue Committee provides opportunities for refugees, asylees, victims of human trafficking, survivors of torture, and other immigrants to thrive in America. Each year, thousands of people, forced to flee violence and persecution, are welcomed by the people of the United States into the safety and freedom of America. These individuals have survived against incredible odds. The IRC works with government bodies, civil society actors, and local volunteers to help them translate their past experiences into assets that are valuable to their new communities. In Dallas and other offices across the country, the IRC helps them to rebuild their lives.
Since opening its doors in 1975, the IRC in Dallas has resettled over 26,000 refugees and provided life-changing services to thousands more in the Lone Star State.
Refugees are people fleeing violence and persecution—in Syria, Afghanistan, Burma, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Eritrea, and other countries in crisis. They are seeking safety and the chance to move their lives forward. Learn more>
Our programs are designed to ensure refugees thrive in America--whether ensuring children are enrolled in school, adults become self-reliant through employment or starting businesses, or families receive acute medical care they need to recover from trauma or illness. The IRC helps those in need to rebuild their lives and regain control of their future in their new home community.
Refugees are greeted and welcomed at the airport by IRC case workers and volunteers to ensure their transition is as comfortable as possible. The IRC also makes sure newly arrived refugees receive:
- A furnished and supplied home
- Temporary help with rent
- Access to healthcare
- Nutritious, affordable food
- English language classes
- Help building job, computer, and financial literacy skills
- Education for their children
- Social services and community support
- Legal services towards residency and citizenship
Our programs in Dallas include:
- Resettlement: Meeting the basic needs for food, shelter and legal rights in the early, critical stages of resettlement.
- Economic Empowerment: Protecting, supporting and improving household livelihoods and financial security.
- Community Integration and Development: Strengthening communities and preparing individuals to participate fully in American society.
- Extended Case Management: Promoting wellness and ensuring access to healthcare services up to five years after arrival..
- Mental Health: Connecting clients with social emotional support and other services with the IRC and throughout the community.
- Immigration: Providing assistance with adjusting immigration status, Civics/Citizenship, and family reunification.
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) in Dallas has been invested in the greater Dallas community since 1975. We provide the wider community with access to Board of Immigration (BIA) accredited representatives that assist in the completion of applications for naturalization, family reunification and other immigration benefits. We are also an accredited Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) site and provide free income tax preparation for anyone during tax season.
Thanks for you interest in the IRC in Dallas! There are many ways you can get involved with the IRC’s work locally. You can:
- Donate: Although we receive public funding for initial resettlement and employment services, the assistance and educational services we provide to refugee families beyond their first few months in the U.S. would not be possible without community support from individual donors such as you.
- Fundraise for the IRC in Dallas: Create your own DIY peer fundraiser here to engage and involve your community with raising funds for the IRC in Dallas. You can also use the "Team Fundraiser" feature to fundraise as a team!
- Volunteer as an individual or group: Learn more about current volunteer opportunities and the application process.
- Become an intern: Each semester we recruit over 20 intern team-members to work in broad range of areas including development, education, employment, extended case management, immigration, and resettlement as well as other direct service programs and administrative support. The success of our programming relies on their assistance and support - interns are essential to achieving our humanitarian mission.
- Corporate Engagement Opportunities: We invite our partners to organize corporate volunteer opportunities.
- Donate new or gently-used items: Find out which items IRC collects for refugees in Dallas.
- Spread the word: Consider hosting your own Fundraising Campaign (on- or offline). Stay connected via our newsletter, follow us on Facebook, and ask others to do the same!
- Explore additional opportunities: Employ refugees, become an advocate, buy produce from refugee gardeners, and more!
Refugees’ contribution to the metro Dallas region is considerable. Not only do refugees bring with them the skills, talents and educational backgrounds that address the needs of Dallas’ booming economy, they also add enormous cultural capital that encourages entrepreneurship and small business development. As refugees integrate within their communities, they earn wages, pay taxes, start businesses, buy homes and support the local economy.
If you have questions regarding monetary donations, sponsorships, monthly sustaining gifts, or other monetary contributions, please email [email protected] or call (214) 461-9781. Thank you for supporting refugees in Dallas!
Thank you for visiting The International Rescue Committee in Dallas’ page. We cannot wait to connect with you! Our programming has been a staple for refugees and other vulnerable populations for decades. After experiencing the most challenging of barriers to get to a place of safety, our clients are met with compassionate, holistic, and tailored services to support their short and long term goals beyond self-sufficiency. The services we provide and connect our refugee friends to are in place to help them build a foundation that subsequently empowers them to take the wheel and thrive in their new home. Our goal is to equip them with knowledge, confidence and resources- and we cannot do that without friends and supporters like you. Your time, treasure or talents allow us to scale and expand our footprint to those who need our humanitarian expertise the most- and who we know will ultimately thrive and contribute to our growing, welcoming society as a result! Our team looks forward to partnering with you as we welcome our new friends to Dallas/Fort Worth.Shalaina Abioye
people in the U.S. received asylum and protection support.
IRC offices across the U.S. provide immediate aid--including food, housing and medical attention—among other support.Learn about resettlement and asylum
people were assisted to become new U.S. citizens.
The IRC offers high-quality, low-cost immigration legal services and citizenship assistance in cities across the U.S.Learn about immigration
Our economic empowerment support includes financial coaching, vocational training and asset building.
people with training to help them build careers and income.Learn more