Around 90% of Sudanese refugees fleeing to Chad are women and children
- The conflict in Sudan is causing a major refugee crisis in neighboring Chad, where over 60,000 people have fled to.
- The majority of new arrivals are women and children who face a higher risk of violence, exploitation, and face difficulties accessing basic necessities like food, water, and healthcare.
- The IRC is calling for increased funding, resources, and personnel for the humanitarian response, as the upcoming rainy season will make access harder for aid agencies.
- Total population: 15.8 million
- People displaced by crisis: 706,000
- Rank in Human Development Index: 186 out of 188
- Started working in Chad: 2004