Multiple conflicts undermine response to Ethiopia’s food catastrophe
- Ethiopia is heading toward its sixth consecutive failed rainy season, which would prolong a drought already affecting 24 million people.
- Various conflicts across the country are disrupting lives and preventing humanitarian organizations from delivering crucial aid.
- A November 2022 peace deal, if it holds, offers hope for an end to the conflict in Tigray, northern Ethiopia, where 28.6 million remain in need of humanitarian aid.
- Total population: 115 million
- Refugees: Nearly 792,000
- People internally displaced: 1.8 million
- Rank in Human Development Index: 175 of 191
- Started work in Ethiopia: 2000