- As Ebola cases rise in Uganda, the IRC calls for the protection of women and girls in the response.
- Currently, up to 60 cases, 23 confirmed deaths and 20 probable Ebola-related deaths have been reported.
- “Even without an outbreak or crisis, women and girls are invariably vulnerable to physical, emotional, and sexual harassment or violence," said IRC Uganda country director Elijah Okeyo.
- The IRC is one of several organizations that have launched a response to the outbreak in collaboration with the Uganda Ministry of Health.
- Population: 41.8 million
- Number of refugees: 1.3 million
- Rank in Human Development Index: 163 of 188
- Started work in Uganda: 1998
- People assisted: Almost 1.2 million