Refugee Volunteer Opportunities
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with the International Rescue Committee (IRC). Our volunteers play an integral role in the IRC's efforts to restore safety, dignity, and hope to people whose lives have been uprooted by war and disaster.
IRC President David Miliband thanks our volunteers with a special video message. Watch now.
Here are ways you can help:
The IRC has 22 offices across the United States each offering a variety of volunteer opportunities throughout the year. Typical volunteer opportunities include:
- Mentoring refugee families and individuals
- Assisting refugees to develop effective job seeking and interview results
- Helping maintain a New Roots garden
To become an IRC volunteer, an individual is required to complete the following volunteer process:
- Fill out a volunteer application
- Attend an orientation at an IRC office
- Be interviewed by IRC staff
- Complete a background check
To explore open volunteer positions, locate the office nearest you:
Not located near an IRC office? Here are other ways to get involved:
The IRC’s 22 US offices offer a variety of unpaid internship opportunities throughout the year. Prospective interns must go through the volunteer process and should be currently enrolled in an educational institution or a recent graduate. Typical internship opportunities include:
- Supporting case work management services to refugees
- Assisting with refugee health education and promotion
- Helping develop and implement programming to support refugee youth
Please visit your local IRC office page to learn more about specific internship opportunities in your area.
The IRC partners with companies to help inspire employees to become involved with IRC’s work through employee engagement opportunities. From working with refugees to help improve their employment skills to providing resources for a holiday drive, there are a variety of ways to get your company involved.
- For more information, please contact Natalia Lopez, Volunteer Operations Officer, Natalia.Lopez@Rescue.org
Make milestones more memorable, birthday gifts more meaningful, and sporting events mightier by adding an iRescue campaign to the occasion. We make it easy -- and fun -- to raise money on the IRC’s behalf with our do-it-yourself fundraising tool.
Your voice matters and can make all the difference. Sign one of the IRC’s petitions, write your legislator, re-tweet an important IRC update, or share one of our posts on Facebook or Pinterest. The more you spread the word, the more others stand up and take notice.