Volunteering with the IRC in Dallas provides an enriching cross-cultural experience and allows you to learn more about the refugee experience first-hand. The IRC in Dallas also offers internship opportunities throughout the year. Individual and group volunteer opportunities are available.
Individual Volunteer Opportunities:
- Family Mentor: Help refugees acclimate to Dallas by showing them around the city, practicing English, introducing them to places like the grocery store, and – most importantly – being a friend to their family. This is a great opportunity to volunteer with your entire family. Requires 2 hours per week for a minimum of 6 months.
- ESL In-Home Tutor: Teach refugees basic English by instructing them in their homes. This tutoring is supplemental to the instruction that refugees receive from community ESL classes. Requires 2 hours per week for a minimum of 6 months (additional hours per week are preferred).
- New Roots Community Garden Volunteer: Work as an individual or group to harvest vegetables alongside gardeners for the farmers’ market on Sunday, fill out invoices to track harvest, and sort/package produce. Seasonal availability for this position.
- Saturday Donations Volunteer: Assist our Donations Associate in sorting and organizing in-kind donations at our Donations Center. Requires Saturday availability.
- Civics Volunteer: Help refugees study for their citizenship test in a classroom setting. Seasonal availability for this position.
- Office Volunteer: Greet visitors to the office, answer and make phone calls, or work with our case management, employment, immigration, or resource development departments.
Group Volunteer Opportunities:
- Explore Dallas Field Trip: Help introduce newly-arrived refugees to Dallas by sponsoring and assisting with a field trip. Previous outings include the Arboretum, Dallas Museum of Art (DMA), or the Dallas Aquarium.
- Resume Building Luncheon: Assist clients in developing skills needed for obtaining employment. Volunteers will have the opportunity to engage with clients by assisting them in building their resumes and by providing a networking opportunity over lunch.
- New Roots Community Garden: Work as an individual or group to harvest vegetables alongside gardeners for the farmers’ market on Sunday, fill out invoices to track harvest, and sort/package produce. Seasonal availability for this position.
- Donation Drive: Collect donations based upon IRC’s list of top requested items. IRC will then pick up these items and deliver them to our refugee clients.
The Volunteer Application Process:
- Email VolunteerDallas [at] rescue.org with your full name, areas of interest, and availability.
- Our volunteer team will respond to your email with a link to sign up for a mandatory information session.
- At the info session, you will receive instructions on how to complete the online application.
- After your application is reviewed, you may be selected for a phone interview.
- Successful interviewees will be required to pass a background check before a position is confirmed. The IRC in Dallas will kindly request a donation of $45 to offset the cost of your background check.
- If your background check and references are cleared, the volunteer team will work to schedule a volunteer orientation or training prior to your start day.
Volunteer positions are accepted on a rolling basis, and additional opportunities may be available. Due to the high volume of applicants, applications may be stored until opportunities become available. Volunteers and interns must be at least 18 years of age. For additional questions, email VolunteerDallas [at] rescue.org.
Here are other ways to help:
- Become an intern
- Donate new or gently-used items
- Support the IRC with a financial contribution
- Join our GenR chapter
- Spread the word
- Explore additional opportunities