In response to COVID-19, the IRC in Dallas' office is currently closed to clients and visitors. All staff members are working remotely. The IRC remains committed to continuing to serve and support refugees, Special Immigrant Visa recipients, asylees, and other immigrants during this uncertain time.
At this time, we are not accepting new volunteers or interns. This page will be updated as situations change.
The IRC in Dallas offers a variety of unpaid internships for recent graduates and students currently enrolled in an educational institution. The IRC in Dallas also offers a variety of individual and group volunteer opportunities. Internship opportunities include:
- Immigration Intern: Assist the immigration department with clients who are applying for green cards, U.S. citizenship, family reunification, etc.
- Employment Intern: Assist the employment department with interview preparation, job applications, employment workshops, job searches, DART orientations, etc.
- Reception & Placement (R&P) Intern: Assist resettlement case workers as they help refugees with their basic needs during the first few months of resettlement (e.g. appointments, school enrollment for children, apartment setup).
- Health & Wellness (H&W) Intern: Assist H&W case workers with medical appointments, filing, documentation, emergency needs, etc.
- Volunteer & Donations Intern: Assist the Volunteer Coordinator and Donations Associate with building volunteer networks and soliciting, collecting, and managing donations.
- Reception Intern: Assist with answering the phones, filing, and managing daily office tasks.
- New Roots Community Garden Intern: Assist the New Roots Specialist with managing community gardens and communicating with gardeners. Some weekend work may be required.
- External Relations Intern: Assist the External Relations and Development Coordinator with communication and fundraising efforts related to special events, digital marketing, and Dallas’ GenR chapter.
- Advocacy Intern: Assist the Executive Director with IRC’s advocacy efforts by conducting legislative and policy research, identifying and building support in the community, and coordinating meetings with community members and representatives.
- A minimum of 15 hours per week for 4 months (3 months in summer). Hours must be completed during normal business hours (i.e. Monday–Friday between 8:30 am – 4:30 pm)
- Enrollment in a Bachelor’s or post-graduate degree program, or pursuing a relevant career.
- Effective communication skills and the ability to collaborate professionally in a multicultural setting.
- An interest in international and refugee issues.
- Reliability and flexibility.
- A willingness to learn about the diverse ethnic backgrounds of clients and adhere to IRC volunteer and workplace policies.
The Intern Application Process:
- Email VolunteerDallas [at] rescue.org with your resume, full name, areas of interest, and availability.
- Our volunteer team will respond to your email with a link to sign up for an information session and a link to our mandatory online application. Information sessions are encouraged, but not required, for interns.
- After your application is reviewed, you may be selected for a phone interview.
- Next, you may be selected for a department-specific interview. This will take place at our Dallas office or over the phone.
- Successful interviewees will be required to pass a background check before a position is confirmed. The IRC in Dallas will kindly request a donation of $30 to offset the cost of your background check.
- If your background check and references are cleared, the volunteer team will work to schedule an intern orientation prior to your start day.
Internship positions are accepted on a rolling basis, and additional opportunities may be available. Due to the high volume of applicants, applications may be stored until opportunities become available. Interns and volunteers must be at least 18 years of age. For additional questions, email VolunteerDallas [at] rescue.org.
Here are other ways to get involved:
- Become a volunteer
- Donate new or gently-used items
- Support the IRC with a financial contribution
- Spread the word
- Explore additional opportunities