The IRC in Dallas has been resettling Special Immigrant Visas holders (SIVs) for the last 12 years and our work continues as the situation in Afghanistan deteriorates. In the past months, we’ve welcomed more than 80 Afghan newcomers, with more on the way. Many families are arriving on very short notice, sometimes just a day. The IRC calls on the Dallas community to open their arms and offer welcome to these families.
How you can help:
- Donate to the IRC in Dallas’ Heart of Texas fund. These funds go directly towards securing housing, purchasing household items and food, transportation, medical needs, and meeting the other basic needs of our new Afghan neighbors. Whether your donation is $10 or $10,000, you will make an impact and help these individuals and families rebuild their lives in Texas. Prefer to donate by check, donor-advised fund, or other means? Please contact us at Dallas [at] Rescue.org (subject: Donating%20to%20IRC%20Dallas) .
- Purchase items, including gift cards that provide immediate and flexible relief, off the IRC in Dallas’ Amazon Wishlist.
- We also accept gift cards from Walmart, Target, and Mastercard. You can mail them directly, with the amount clearly indicated, to International Rescue Committee, Donations Department, 6500 Greenville Ave, Suite 500, Dallas, TX 75206.
- Use your voice to take action. Let the White House know that it is the responsibility of President Biden and the State Department to do everything possible to immediately facilitate safe and orderly departure for to protect at-risk Afghans.
- As needs arise over the next few months, volunteers will be, as always, a great asset to our office. Currently, we need volunteers to help sort and deliver donations, help with office administration, and to help with interpretation (Dari/Farsi, and Pashto). The process to becoming a volunteer is long. You will need to attend an Information Session, fill out the application, have an interview, complete an IRC background check, after it clears be place with your supervisor, be onboarded, and begin volunteering. For information session links, please reach out to VolunteerDallas [at] rescue.org (subject: Volunteering%20with%20IRC%20Dallas) .
- Open your home as a place of refuge for emergency temporary housing with IRC’s partner Airbnb.org’s Open Homes Program.
“Who knows what happens next?” Afghans in Dallas worry about their Taliban-controlled country – The Dallas community reacts to the instability in Afghanistan.
"My Life Was In Danger": How Afghan Allies Seek Safety in the US - Two men resettled under the Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) program to support Afghan allies discuss their fears for those left behind.