The IRC in Phoenix has begun receiving displaced Afghan families in urgent need of safety. We expect the numbers of families to increase due to the deteriorating situation in Afghanistan. The IRC calls on the Phoenix community to come together and open our arms in welcome for these families, many who risked their lives providing critical and longstanding assistance to the U.S. mission in Afghanistan.
Here are five ways YOU can help!
- Cash Donations: The IRC helps newly-arrived families meet critical needs, including safe and stable housing. Make a secure, one time donation or become a monthly sustainer here. Prefer to donate by check, donor-advised fund, or other means? Please contact us at Phoenix [at] Rescue.org.
- Amazon Wish List: Due to the COVID pandemic, the IRC is not able to accept used clothing. Community members can shop from IRC’s Amazon Wish List for items resettling families will need. Or, donate gift cards, so families can purchase exactly what they need. Amazon Wish List
- Volunteer: We need volunteers to help us prepare for new arrivals, especially any volunteers with availability weekdays 9-5. Apartment set-ups, outreach to new landlords, and support with our van management are all vital to the services IRC provides. Fill out an application or contact Volunteerphx [at] rescue.org for any questions.
- Housing: Finding housing is our biggest challenge at the moment! We are looking for landlords who can be flexible about not requiring first and last month's rent or a security deposit. Upon arrival, refugees do not have the documentation an average American has, such as a social security card, credit / rental history and employment history in the United States. They can however, provide evidence of legal status, reliable income, and agency support. If you have housing available for the first 4 to 6 months of a familiy's arrival please contact Phoenix [at] Resecue.org (subject: Housing%20for%20Afghan%20SIVs) . You can also become an AirBnB Open Homes host!
- Employment: Many displaced Afhgans arrive with language and job skills gained working with the US military. You can help our Afghan neighbors by becoming an Employment Partner with the IRC. Contact phoenix [at] rescue.org (subject: Helping%20Afghan%20SIVs%20in%20Phoenix) for more information.
"My Life Was In Danger": How Afghan Allies Seek Safety in the US - Two men resettled under the Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) program to support Afghan allies discuss their fears for those left behind.