The IRC in Seattle helps people fleeing violence and persecution make Washington their new home. We continue to work alongside refugee communities and other partners to welcome and support Afghans and other refugees in urgent need of safety. In recent weeks, we’ve welcomed more than 70 Afghan newcomers, with more on the way, and many families are arriving in our community on very short notice.
How you can help:
- Contribute to the IRC in Seattle to help newly-arrived families meet critical needs and to support our work with newcomer communities more broadly. Prefer to donate by check, donor-advised fund, or other means? Please contact us at [email protected].
- Purchase items from our welcome kit wishlist and back-to-school wishlist.
- Donate gift cards, so families can purchase exactly what they need. We are in high need of gift cards from: Target, Fred Meyer, Walmart, Ikea, and Visa/Mastercard. Gift cards (with dollar amount clearly indicated) may be mailed to: International Rescue Committee, 1200 S 192nd St, Suite 101, SeaTac, WA 98148.
- Email your members of congress and encourage them to support our Afghan allies.
- Follow and support local Afghan community organizations, such as Afghan Health Initiative and Afghan American Community of Washington.
- Help newcomers meet their long-term goals by supporting the IRC's local programs as a volunteer or monthly sustainer.
- Offer transitional housing to new arrivals by signing up for Airbnb Open Homes.
- Apply for a short-term, paid deployment as a cohort assistant to help welcome and process Afghan SIV applicants at various US government sites.
- Learn more about the rapidly-changing situation in Afghanistan and others ways to support people at risk.
We will continue to post updates here as the situation and needs change. Thank you for your support!