The holiday season is upon us and we hope you will consider supporting refugees arriving in Tucson.
New refugees are resettled here every year with more arriving almost every week. All are in need of a home, a job, medical services, food, and more to begin a new life and become members of our diverse community. Last year, Tucson came together to welcome 599 refugees from Sudan, Iraq, DR Congo, Eritrea, Syria, and Afghanistan. With the winter months upon us, they all are in need of different items.
To best serve their individual needs, gift cards are a great option. Many are still struggling to become self-sufficient and need basics like coats and blankets, hygiene supplies, work clothes along household supplies. You can help change that.
Why Gift Cards?
Having the ability to shop for and select what you need is rewarding and affirming. Many refugees have spent years in refugee camps, and have not had the chance to pick out their own hygiene supplies, clothing, or household essentials. Having the opportunity to go shopping and provide for their household gives them an independence that they will treasure.
"I am grateful for the donations I received from IRC. I was given a gift card and was able to allow my children to choose their own clothes. They were so happy and proud to wear them." - Ziya, Refugee
Here's How You Can Help
- Purchase a gift card(s). Suggestions: Target, Safeway, Goodwill, Walmart, Marshalls, Old Navy, Amazon, Dollar tree, Salvation Army, etc...
- You can ship the card or stop by our office to deliver it: International Rescue Committee, 1011 N Craycroft Rd, Ste 404, Tucson, AZ 85711. Please include your name and address so we may send you an acknowledgment.
- Make an online gift at rescue.org/givetucson or mail a check to the above address with "Gift Card Drive" in the memo line.
- Gifts of any value are appreciated! We recommend minimum of $25 per card as it will allow the refugee who receives the card, to purchase several items at one time.
- Please write the amount of the gift card on the card itself, so we can distribute them appropriately.
- Choose a card that does not have an activation fee or a purchase fee.
- Select a store that has the widest available purchase power.
- For any questions, please email us at: [email protected] or call us at: 520-319-2128
Thank you for honoring our newest neighbors, and contributing to their success!