Location: Primarily off-site. San Diego International Airport and around San Diego County (exact location disclosed to volunteers).
Time Commitment: As needed, however volunteers can expect at least 1 airport pick-up per week and to spend between 2-3 hours per pick-up. Airport pick-up times vary but are primarily on weeknights and weekends. Volunteers must be able to commit to 2-3 months.
Responsibilities: Airport pick up volunteers will communicate with IRC staff about pick up and drop off logistics to receive families as they arrive at the San Diego International Airport. Volunteers must have access to a car and be willing to transport IRC clients and their luggage with it. Volunteers should also be culturally sensitive and respectful of diverse backgrounds, self-motivated and comfortable working with little supervision, and able to handle sensitive client information confidentially. Most importantly, volunteers should be welcoming and eager to help newly-arrived refugees settle into the San Diego community.
- Access to a vehicle
- Available on an as-needed basis
- Reliability, attention to detail
- Able to lift 20 lbs.
- Work well under pressure
- Flexible and adaptive to change
- Excellent communication skills
- Provide valid driver’s license with current insurance
- Provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19
- Willing to adhere to IRC Volunteer and workplace policies, including confidentiality policies
How to Apply:
- Submit a volunteer application here
- Complete a phone screening with the Volunteer Coordinator
- Pass a background check
- Complete orientation and submit requested paperwork
- Begin your service!
More opportunities in San Diego, CA
San Diego Internship Opportunities
Academic internships currently available at the IRC in San Diego. Currently recruiting for the following positions: Refugee Client Services Intern and Development & Communications Intern.
Immigration Department Admin Assistant Volunteer
Responsibilities: Sorting department mail; Update case files and department database; Create case files and filing; Schedule clients for immigration legal service appointments; Other related duties as assigned.
Thank you for your interest in pursuing an AmeriCorps opportunity with the IRC in San Diego. The IRC offers a variety of AmeriCorps positions on an on-going basis.