LOCATION: Varies, in Charlottesville
TIME COMMITMENT: 10 hours/month, more at busy times
- Attend Volunteer Orientation
- Communicate with IRC staff about preparing apartments to be ready to receive newly-arriving refugee families
- Following specified list of items, shop at WalMart and Kroger for household and basic food supplies to prepare home for new family
- “Shop” the IRC’s donations to supplement required items and make the apartment warm and welcoming
- Assist the Development Coordinator with identifying and delivering additional donated furniture and home decor
- Stage apartment with furniture, household and food supplies prior to family’s arrival
- Maintain receipts and other documentation of purchases for IRC records
- Record hours and submit a completed time sheet at the end of each month via the IRC’s online Volunteer Dashboard
- Available on an as-needed basis
- Reliability, attention to detail
- Work well under pressure
- Flexible and adaptive to change
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to lift 40lbs
- Valid driver’s license and a reliable vehicle with current insurance and the ability to travel throughout the regular service delivery area
- Willing to adhere to IRC Volunteer and workplace policies, including confidentiality policies
This position reports to the Volunteer Coordinator.
More opportunities in Charlottesville, VA
The IRC in Charlottesville offers a variety of unpaid internships for students currently enrolled in an educational institution or those who are recent graduates.
Be the first to greet people as they walk into our office!
Special Events Volunteer
The IRC in Charlottesville is seeking volunteers with a wide range of skills to help plan the annual fundraising event We Rescue Lives, the World Refugee Day Celebration, and other IRC events. Volunteers on the Event Committee meet monthly with IRC staff to plan and execute events for the community and for IRC clients.
Help refugees improve their English!