Background: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover and gain control of their future. IRC teams provide health, infrastructure, learning and economic support to people in 40 countries worldwide. The IRC also provides support to thousands of refugees resettling in 29 U.S. cities each year through initial housing assistance; case management and referral services; job readiness and placement; community and cultural orientation; health and wellness programs; immigration services; and youth programs. Family Wellness is a program for refugee, immigrant, and asylum clients who need significant case management services beyond the initial resettlement period and clients who have experienced harm. The program helps newcomers identify and utilize strengths to cope with and overcome challenges they face in their new home. Clients can remain in the family wellness program until they’ve met their established goals.
Scope of Internship: Under the guidance of the family wellness coordinator, the intern will connect clients with a variety of community resources by scheduling client appointments and transportation, accompanying clients to social services appointments, assisting with applications to community resources, and providing other day-to-day assistance to the family wellness program as needed. This internship requires a high level of responsibility and will provide the intern with ample opportunities for professional development in a social service setting.
Location: Hybrid and fully remote option available. If hybrid, would work in-person at IRC SeaTac office located 1200 S 192nd St. SeaTac, WA 98148
Time Commitment: Minimum 15 hours/week during IRC office hours (M-F, 9am-5pm). Minimum 3-month commitment.
Essential Position Functions:
- Schedule doctor appointments and transportation arrangements for clients with higher or urgent medical needs
- Accompany clients (currently remote work only) on appointments and interviews with community service providers (Social Security Administration, Unemployment Offices, legal services, Multiservice Center, food banks, etc)
- Complete intake forms and applications (in-home care, public health nurse, Metro Access, Seattle City Light, SSI, legal referrals, DSHS application, etc.)
- Research community resources and organizations and compile recommendations to family wellness team for future partnerships
- Organize client case files and enter data into InfoNet
- Other administrative support as needed
- Must be culturally sensitive, respectful of diverse backgrounds and willing to work with English language learners; previous cross-cultural communication experience a plus
- Ability to handle sensitive client information confidentially
- Flexibility, patience and willingness to learn/perform reasonable duties as needed
- Must be well-organized and pay high attention to detail when entering data and completing forms/documentation
- Good communication skills and ability to professionally represent IRC when interacting with outside agencies, such as schools, clinics, government agencies, etc.
- Must be self-motivated and comfortable working with little supervision
- Ability to communicate effectively in English; additional fluency in a refugee language helpful, but not required
- Comfortable with using Teams, Zoom or other remote meeting software
- Willingness to adhere to IRC volunteer and workplace policies
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires candidates who are selected for interview to have proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for this position.
Reports to: Survivor Services Program Manager
Updated: July 2022
Please note, all interns are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. This is an unpaid internship.
How to apply:
1. Attend an orientation/info session. Register here.
2. Please fill out a volunteer application
3. Volunteer Coordinator or IRC staff will follow up