Front Desk Volunteers are the face of the IRC. Volunteers in this role greet and direct all walk-ins and phone calls to appropriate staff members. With a substantial amount of client interaction, volunteers gain practice communicating with diverse populations to find shared understanding. Additionally, at the front desk you will learn more about varied programs and services offered by the IRC in Salt Lake City. The best fit for this position is someone who is personable, patient, flexible and a problem solver. Our staff is busy, which means we are not always accessible to those who walk or call-in, so you are crucial to providing a friendly space to ensure people feel welcome. Training will be provided in-person on your first shift.
Shift options: Weekday shifts on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 11am-1pm.
- Greet walk-ins, usually IRC clients, donors or volunteers and direct them to appropriate staff
- Direct phone calls that come through the general IRC number
- Utilize resources available, including the resource manual, online training and IRC staff to answer questions that come up throughout your shift
- Weekly or bi-weekly 2 hour shift.
- Comfortable with saying no and asking questions
- Prior experience working with various language speakers preferred, but not required
- Passionate about refugee services
- Willing to learn about the IRC and our wide variety of programs
- Reliable and communicative of any schedule changes at least 24 hours prior to scheduled shifts
- COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires all volunteers who are interested in providing in-person support for our work to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be onboarded for the position. If proof of vaccine cannot be provided, volunteers may still apply for virtual-only roles.
- Attend a volunteer orientation.
Please email us at VolunteerSLC [at] rescue.org
More opportunities in Salt Lake City, UT
Warm Welcome Winter Clothing Drive - Event Volunteer
The Warm Welcome Winter Clothing Drive is the IRC in Salt Lake City's annual winter wear donation drive to ensure nearly 200 recently arrived refugees receive clean, new or like-new coats, jackets, boots, warm socks, hats and gloves. For many refugees, this winter will be the first time they see snow. We want to make sure they are adequately prepared.
Business Tax Volunteer
Support small business owners throughout the year with tax questions!
Are you a professional food photographer looking to support the refugee community? Come take some pictures of delicious around the world dishes!
IRC in Salt Lake City Internships
IRC in Salt Lake City offers a variety of internships from case management to health to marketing and beyond!