Front Desk Volunteers are the face of the IRC. Volunteers in this role greet and direct all walk-ins and phone calls to appropriate staff members. With a sustantial amount of client interaction, volunteers gain practice communicating with diverse populations to find share understanding. Additionally, at the front desk you will learn more about varied programs and services offered by the IRC in Salt Lake City. The best fit for this position is someone who is personable, patient, flexible and a problem solver. Our staff is busy, which means we are not always accessible to those who walk or call-in, so you are crucial to providing a friendly space to ensure people feel welcome. Training is provided via an online webinar prior to your first shift and in-person training during your first shift.
Shift options: Weekday shifts include 9am-11am, 11am-1pm, 1pm-3pm and 3pm-5pm
- Greet walk-ins, usually IRC clients, donors or volunteers and direct them to appropriate staff
- Direct phone calls that come through the general IRC number
- Utilize resources available, including the resource manual, online training and IRC staff to answer questions that come up throughout your shift
- At least one 2 hours shift per month, two shifts a month preferred
- Comfortable with saying no and asking questions
- Prior experience working with various language speakers preferred, but not required
- Passionate about refugee services
- Willing to learn about the IRC and our wide variety of programs
- Reliable and communicative of any schedule changes at least 24 hours prior to scheduled shifts
- Attend an info session, sign up here: http://signup.com/go/zWyQod
- After the info session, you will receive the volunteer application on which you can list positions of interest. When training dates arise for relevant positions, you will be notified.
- Once paired with a role, all volunteers must clear an IRC background check. For the backgroud check we do ask for a $45 donation to cover the cost.
More opportunities in Salt Lake City, UT
Sunnyvale Farmer's Market Volunteer
Help provide low- to no-cost produce grown by refugees to the community in South Salt Lake!
Graphic Design Volunteer
Are you a graphic designer looking to use your skills for good? Let's talk!
Garden Based ESL Tutor
Volunteers certified to instruct ESL are wanted to support refugees participating in the New Roots garden program.
Health Access Volunteer
Going to the doctor's office can be daunting for those of us born in the US, but think about how confusing it can be for those who are new to Utah? We are looking for a few volunteers with a flexible schedule that can assist refugees as they access the health care system.