TIME COMMITMENT: On call with a 6-month commitment
BACKGROUND: Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee is a leading, non-sectarian, non-profit organization providing emergency relief, protection, rehabilitation assistance, resettlement services, and advocacy for refugees and victims of oppression or violent conflict. Domestically, our 25 offices across the U.S. ensure new arrivals have food, shelter, and clothing, and work with refugees to help them gain self-sufficiency.
SCOPE OF WORK: Volunteers will assist the Housing Specialist in providing housing related services, including searching for adequate local housing options, household goods shopping, and apartment set up. Volunteers will also perform administrative tasks such as completing applications for services on behalf of clients and making appointments.
- Attend Volunteer/Intern Orientation
- Must undergo and pass a background check. The IRC kindly requests a $35 fee to assist in covering the cost of this requirement
- Conduct housing research (i.e. searching for homes on web platforms and contacting landlords)
- Advocate for clients during delivery of needed services; represent IRC in a professional manner
- Occasional transport of clients to various appointments (i.e. lease signing appointments)
- Occasionally shop for and set up homes for arriving cases
- Record hours and submit completed timesheet for each month via the IRC’s online Volunteer Dashboard.
- Able to work with minimal supervision
- Comfortable working in a multicultural environment
- Flexible, able to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word and/or Google Platforms is preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Reliable, responsible, able to complete tasks within required time-frame
- Must have a car and a clean driving record
- Must be located in Charlottesville, Virginia and be willing to complete field work.
This position is unpaid and reports to the Housing Specialist.
IRC leading the way from harm to home.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.