The International Rescue Committee (IRC) in Salt Lake City does not host your average internships. Our interns get hands-on experience and responsibility to provide personalized services as we work to move refugees from harm to home. Requirements vary by position, but the standard commitment for internships is 15-20 hours a week for at least 10 weeks with opportunities that go up to 40 hours a week for school credit.
Note on COVID-19:
The IRC is monitoring COVID-19 activity around the world as well as in Salt Lake City. The health and well-being of our clients, volunteers and staff is of the utmost importance to us. We will be adjusting our intern recruiting and onboarding activity accordingly.
Steps to become an intern with the IRC in Salt Lake City:
1. Read through the information on this page and check out position descriptions for our various internships.
2. Email your resume, cover letter and two letters of recommendation to Jen Dean, our volunteer coordinator, at VolunteerSLC [at] rescue.org (subject: Internship%20Inquiry) .
3. Complete a 20-minute phone interview with the volunteer coordinator to determine a potential fit with the IRC.
4. Interview with staff overseeing your program of interest.
5. Complete an online IRC background check.
The IRC offers a variety of internships in departments including those supporting:
- Advocacy & Community Engagement
- Data & Evaluation
- Donations, Logistics and Event Planning
- Economic Empowerment & Asset Building
- Small Business & Entrepreneurship
- Education & Youth Support
- Food Access & Nutrition
- Health Promotion & Access
- Marketing & Communications
You can view position descriptions here, but please note that availability varies depending on the semester and number of applicants. If you are interested in getting more information including specific position descriptions, please email your resume and a brief statement of interest to VolunteerSLC [at] rescue.org (subject: Internship%20Inquiry) . We will follow up with any relevant position descriptions.
More opportunities in Salt Lake City, UT
Come support parents of young children and pregnant clients access healthy foods.
Online Youth Tutor
This 2020-2021 school year support refugee youth of all ages with various tutoring needs!
IRC Tech Squad Volunteer
Are you a tech geek wanting to support refugees and immigrants in Utah with digital literacy? Join our tech squad!
Student Support Volunteer
Support refugee students in the Salt Lake City area with their remote, online school work by providing basic academic and tech support for grades K-12.