The International Rescue Committee (IRC) in Salt Lake City does not host your average internships. Our interns get hands-on experience and responsibility to provide personalized services as we work to move refugees from harm to home. Requirements vary by position, but the standard commitment for internships is 15-20 hours a week for at least a semester with opportunities that go up to 40 hours a week for school credit.
Note on COVID-19:
The IRC is monitoring COVID-19 activity around the world as well as in Salt Lake City. The health and well-being of our clients, volunteers and staff is of the utmost importance to us. We will be adjusting our intern recruiting and onboarding activity accordingly.
Steps to become an intern with the IRC in Salt Lake City:
1. Read through the information on this page and check out the IRC career page and search for job postings in Salt Lake City.
2. Submit your resume, cover letter and two letters of recommendation through the career site.
3. Complete a 20-minute phone interview with the volunteer coordinator to determine a potential fit with the IRC.
4. Interview with staff overseeing your program of interest.
5. Complete an online IRC background check.
The IRC offers a variety of internships in departments including those supporting:
- Advocacy & Community Engagement
- Data & Evaluation
- Donations, Logistics and Event Planning
- Economic Empowerment
- Small Business & Entrepreneurship
- Education & Youth Support
- Food Access & Nutrition
- Health Promotion & Access
- Marketing & Communications
You can view position descriptions here, but please note that availability varies depending on the semester and number of applicants. If you are interested in getting more information including specific position descriptions, please send any questions to VolunteerSLC [at] rescue.org (subject: Internship%20Inquiry) .
More opportunities in Salt Lake City, UT
Volunteer Tax Preparer
Volunteer Tax Preparers provide free, professional tax preparation services for low income refugees and new Americans through the VITA program.
Volunteer Tax Quality Reviewer
Volunteer Tax Quality Reviewer conducts a quality review on tax returns prepared for refugee and new American taxpayers.
Volunteer Tax Screener
Volunteer Tax Screeners ensure that refugee and new American taxpayers have the necessary information and documents to complete a tax return.
Spice to Go Volunteer
Help refugee, immigrant and low-income Utahns share their amazing food with the community! Shifts are Thursdays 3:30-6:30pm for volunteers 14 or older.